Author Topic: Wire Routing - What works best?  (Read 1285 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 17, 2013, 04:45:10 am
Recently been having some electrical problems; turn signals were grounding out.  I pulled the tank and found the wire harness had been pinched by the engine stay (result of someone else working on my bike, grrr!).  See below, after i pulled back the insulation and amputated.  I soldered in a replacement and sealed it all up with heat shrink and then tape.

With the tank off, i noticed grommets on the 2 harness and the 'hooks' on the tube.  Are these grommets to be placed in the j hooks?  Mine arent, and it appears i may have too much wire from frame to the nacelle.  What have others done?  I figure nows the time to fix it.

Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Adrian

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:45:22 pm
Hi Dan,

You need some slack in the wiring loom to allow the forks to turn without stressing it. There are some factory pressings in the gas tank front mounting bracket for the wiring to slot in.

Note that the wiring around the steering head may fail anyway with age/use, I had the battery to ammeter as well as turn signal wiring break, the bike is getting on for 8 years old.

Regards,

Adrian

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:10:32 pm
Thanks Adrian. That makes sense. I've found several areas that have rubbed thru insulation. It's those rubber grommets on the bundles I can't figure out. Just going to ignore them, as they make no sense to me. 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra