Author Topic: Mysterious Oil Leak  (Read 1571 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 01, 2013, 05:17:00 am
So obviously my bike has been sitting since I'm in the middle of the restoration.   I drained all of the oils/fluids, but yet I still get a small puddle of oil by the kickstand after it's been sitting for a day or two.  WTF?  First of all, where is it coming from?  Second of all, why is it still leaking after I drained all the fluids?  I originally thought that it was coming from the main case seam so I ran a bead of silicone across that seam,  but it didn't "SEAM" to help a whole lot.  (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:40:55 pm
Scottie two things spring to mind, the first is does your bike have an oil catcher type breather, it could be overflow from this. The other is that the gearbox seal is leaking through the sprocket side.

Just my muses on reading, don't know if it helps.

Kevin
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:35:49 pm
Get used to it it's an old bike. I've got an old Chief that I drained everything out of and it still has oil slowly running down the kickstand.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:41:11 pm
Get used to it it's an old bike. I've got an old Chief that I drained everything out of and it still has oil slowly running down the kickstand.  ERC

I know!  I swore I drained every last drop out of every case, but I still get about a 3-4" puddle by the kickstand after it's been sitting in one place for a few days.  Weird.    ???

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King