Author Topic: Best aftermarket pipes  (Read 3631 times)

mrrstr

• Scooter
on: March 15, 2013, 07:37:23 pm
What are people's opinions in the U.S. for aftermarket pipes that sound and look great?  And what are opinions on the long stock silencer?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:02 pm
The long stock silencer, a.k.a. "the telephone pole" is not good. Very restrictive, and weighs a ton.
The later model stock header pipe with the "hot tube" reducer in the tail end of it, also is not good. However, it can be recovered by "coring" out the hot tube with the proper size hole saw, to eliminate it, and then it's like most other header pipes.
The India made exhausts have the brackets welded on after the chroming, so they paint over the welds with silver paint. Not good. They don't last very long either.

The "UK made" pipes seem to be made well, and work fine. The look depends on what you like. I like the Gold Star system very well, with the lesser "swept back" pipe that still allows normal footpegs, if you aren't going for rear-set controls.
The "shorty silencer" is popular.
The ones which are empty inside, and use the removable baffle tube in the end give least restrictions, but some people might find it on the loud side. I think it's fine.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:07:22 pm
Ace, I'm looking at the Shorty silencer. Couldnt you make it quieter by modifying the baffle with fiberglass or something?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:20:07 pm
I like the EFI mufflers. Sound good without attracting cops, good power, 5 or 6 pounds lighter than stock.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:44:31 pm
Ace, I'm looking at the Shorty silencer. Couldnt you make it quieter by modifying the baffle with fiberglass or something?
Yes, you could add a baffle or modify the baffle if it sounds too loud for you.

As Barenekd says, the EFI muffler might slide right on, and that might be suitable, but I have never tried the fit myself, so I can't say with certainty that there would be a perfect match.

mrrstr

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:54:31 pm
I looked down the header and saw nothing.  How can I tell if I have the hot tube version?  Mine is an '03.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:01:13 pm
I looked down the header and saw nothing.  How can I tell if I have the hot tube version?  Mine is an '03.
I don't remember what year they started having it.
I think if you don't have the threaded stub in the header up near the bend at the head, then you probably don't have the hot tube. That threaded stub near the head is for the Pulse Air Valve system. They added some of this pollution stuff as they went along.

If you have the full 1.625" I.D at the tail end of the header, then it's fine.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 06:31:43 pm
As Barenekd says, the EFI muffler might slide right on, and that might be suitable, but I have never tried the fit myself, so I can't say with certainty that there would be a perfect match.

As I recall, the EFI slid right on, however when I put the angle adapter on, I had to sand the pipe down for the adapter to fit the pipe.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 05:33:45 pm
Goldstar all the way.....what a great British design. You have the ability to burble through town without shattering windows yet out on the back roads it wails. I wouldn't use anything else on any vintage bike. :)

Pale Rider

• Pale Rider
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:51 pm
Not all Goldstar exhaust sound the same.  My mate (in the video) has a different make to mine and his sounded a lot nicer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAtYOMv1Z20

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:28:53 pm
I have the swept back cafe racer header and Goldstar silencer on my Continental kitted 2006 and love it. I love the sound from that Goldy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:31:25 pm by fvtenfanatic »
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:46:33 pm
Not all Goldstar exhaust sound the same.  My mate (in the video) has a different make to mine and his sounded a lot nicer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAtYOMv1Z20

I know what you're saying. I had a Bonneville Special with a Toga Goldstar replica and it was simply outstanding sounding. The perforated tube was not one piece, rather it was two sections angled away from each other in the chamber, no packing. I was hoping the silencer on my Bullet was the same, but it is one piece. It still sounds awesome. Anybody know what the authentic
Goldstar silencer was originally?  One perforated tube straight thru, or something similar to the Toga I described?

Roundsworth

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 11:36:05 pm
Here is a twist on the OEM exhaust. I removed the torpedo muffler and the baffle in the header pipe and installed this neat downspout, which I purchased at my local hardware emporium. Cheers!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:24 am
Roundsworth: Why not, inexpensive straightpipe setup with  blap blap blap at the ground...I'm running the 50's style setup from our sponsor..Your exhaust header/pipe connections looks too clean as most of them  are blued a bit...By the way, loved the white, don't see many of those either..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:12 am
I have the swept back cafe racer header and Goldstar silencer on my Continental kitted 2006 and love it. I love the sound from that Goldy.

From my perspective your Bullet in its entirety is a musical instrument in own right.

Fellas, you've got to see and hear that motorbike in person to fully appreciate it.
No matter where you go, there, you are.