Author Topic: New UCE  (Read 2558 times)

Techmaven

• Scooter
on: March 14, 2013, 12:39:56 am
Hello all! I'm considering a new or near new Enfield and was wondering if the bike is suitable for a 6'3" fellow..I sat on a C5 and it seemed roomier than my brothers Suzuki TU250. Are the OEM items like battery/chain etc sub-par to the aftermarket replacements? I'm looking for a Sunday morning tooter/weekday commuter and I LOVE the heavy flywheeled, long legged gait these bikes seem to have.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 12:53:43 am
I am 6'6" and 280. Love my G5 Deluxe.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:58:01 am
IMO the chain is the only weak spot on these bikes.
After 3500 miles, the one on my G5 was getting a lot of side slop as well as it needing adjusting 3 times.

The 28 horsepower the UCE produces doesn't come close to taxing the strength of the 530 chain they use so I chalk it up to poor heat treatment on the original chain.

My aftermarket chain has gone about 6000 miles and needed adjustment once.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 01:04:15 am
Thanks for the replies so far...A dealer I spoke to says before selling any bike, he replaces the battery and puts in full synth oil..Is he just padding the price by doing this? I'd rather worry about the oil myself and use dino instead of synth especially during break-in...He has a 2011 B5 out the door for $5999.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:11:36 am
RE recommends using semi-synthetic at all times but a lot of us are using full syn.

I'm not sure what battery the RE's come with from the factory but they might be the wet cell Exide's that have proven to be rather marginal in India.
My dealer installed a aftermarket, sealed battery and I'm coming up on two years on it with it still working fine.

If your dealer is offering you these features, take them.

The price your getting looks good to me.
There isn't a lot of mark-up on these bikes and I suspect he's selling it for not much more than he has invested in it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:22 am
Welcome to the forum. I'm the same size as you and find my C5 fits me well.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 02:25:04 am
I'm 6 foot 2 and two-hundred-and-mumble pounds (ok, almost 260 fully loaded), with long legs. I'm quite comfortable on my 2010 Classic C5, which I ride daily, and have ridden almost 2000 miles at this point, including 100-mile highway trips. I was originally considering a Suzuki S40, but the riding position was so contorted for someone my size that I looked around for something else. And I really like the fact that I can ride completely upright when I want to.

I took MSF training on a Suzuki TU250. I thought it was a comfortable bike, until I got onto an Enfield and realized how squeezed I'd been on the Suzuki.

I've installed both factory and aftermarket accessories and so far have no complaints about the quality of anything. There are a couple of large specialized parts and accessories dealers (NField Gear in the US and Hitchcocks in the UK) that carry very wide ranges of items and are knowledgeable about what fits. When I bent my footpeg in an unfortunate incident (cough), Hitchcocks had a factory replacement part in stock that matched the original paint color. I've also bought "generic" accessories and gear from Helmet City, Kuryakyn, Aerostitch, Jafrum, Motorcycle Superstore, etc., etc. which work fine on the bike.

My bike has a few minor inconsistencies in workmanship (mostly cosmetic and hard to notice, like the rear mudguard is mounted to the frame slightly unevenly), but an Enfield is meant to be a bike with personality and I don't mind them. 

This weekend I'm renting a Triumph Bonneville T100 on a trip, and I'll be able to compare the rides of the two bikes when I get home.

The price you quoted seems very fair, especially if it's the dealer that you'll be coming back to to service the bike and you can expect they'll stand behind it. I paid (in 2012) $7000 out the door for a new 2010 Bullet C5 (which works out to $6429 plus $571 sales tax, prepped and reg fees paid and with a full tank of gas). And they spent an hour prepping and testing it, I watched them do it.  I could have saved maybe $300 by driving an hour into the sticks (and would have had more bikes to choose from), but I decided to buy from the dealer here in NYC that I knew I'd be depending on if anything broke.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 12:49:32 am
Very helpful...thanks to all of you for the replies.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 01:12:45 am
Techmaven-  Good advice from all, but the current B5 new price on Classic Motorworks' website is $5999, the same price being asked for your 2-years-old leftover.

For "out-the-door" price, I assume that means your dealer is spotting you the delivery and prep, and the battery and oil, I guess (my 2011 B5 came with the Exide wet battery).  I don't know what state you live in, but hopefully that "out-the-door" price includes sales tax, too, if appropriate.

I might try for a better price...

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:37 pm
Thanks for the reply...I'm on Long Island, NY, home of all sorts of greedy motorcycle dealers.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 08:21:25 pm
Techmaven, if you're not too far out on the island, I'd be happy to ride out one of these weekends and let you have a little test ride on mine. Probably can't do it until the weekend of the 30th, though, and I know you might not be able to wait...
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:13:06 pm
Rich, Very nice of you to offer that and I'd love to but I'll be away that week..I'm not in too much of a rush to purchase since I want to learn as much as I can to make a well informed decision. :)