Author Topic: More tires!  (Read 11651 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 09:02:50 pm
I said he could keep the tire irons, I'm sure I'll never need them again :)

Man, I've found a lot of great uses for tire irons, and it ain't changin' tires. They are great general use levers. They can pop a head off a thumper in short order! And sprockets and other tight bits! Aligning Motor Mount bolts on aircraft engines, Etc,Etc. Sho' wouldn't give mine away!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 09:13:06 pm
I'm getting old and grumpy enough to now realize just because I can do something doesn't mean I should.  If I need a 2' long pry bar it probably falls in my shouldn't column.

Scott

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 01:25:20 am
Man, I've found a lot of great uses for tire irons, and it ain't changin' tires. They are great general use levers. They can pop a head off a thumper in short order! And sprockets and other tight bits! Aligning Motor Mount bolts on aircraft engines, Etc,Etc. Sho' wouldn't give mine away!
Bare

I only have one left, and would NEVER consider using it on a tire...

patndhat

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:25 am
"Almost as bad as oil threads..." If you have threads in your oil, something is badly wrong, and it has nothing to do with your tires. On the tire thang, rain grooves suck for any tire, and rain grooves on the SF Bay Bridge mean you (I) have a wicked cross wind at the same time. I have the new (I think) stock Road Riders and not the grooved Speed/Skid/Death Masters that started this conversation. Still a big wobble. I think half of it was the wind, the other half was the groove/tire combination, and the third half that my Bay Bridge two-wheeled commutes in the past were on a Moto-Guzzi Ambassador. She was much, much, heavier. (RIP dear old friend). I'm diggin' my new ride, but need to learn the bridge on a lighter bike.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 12:22:59 am
I had the AM26 RoadRiders stock last time I crossed the GG and SF Bay bridges.  Not the greatest but manageable.  I always noticed the tiniest hint of a shimmy on grooved pavement, I think it's the wiggly center groove on the tires.

I hate having a center groove on a front tire but there were no tires I could find at the time that were in the sizes I wanted and good in wet weather that didn't have them.  Oh well.  Conti is coming out with a new tire soon that's meant for older bikes that take bias ply sizes and is also good in the wet with no center groove.  I may get that next time if these don't work out.

Scott