Author Topic: Question about wiring  (Read 4093 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 09:38:16 pm
Big schematic? Beg you pardon?
Could not find it online. Perhaps in a paper catalogue?

True enough the chart in the shop manual, though A4 size, is illegible.
The miniature from the owner's manual is partly decipherable, given enough cup'o tea's.
Ironically this makes it better than the other.  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:39 pm
Wiring diagram poster:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/wiring-diagram-poster-1708.html

Color version is extra-fancy... and crazy expensive - but if it's accurate and colored in a useful way it's probably awesome.

I bought the black & white version late last year when I found it on sale for $17.  It was a good investment - really is poster-sized and very easy to read.  I'm new to RE bikes, and riding, for that matter, but not new to wiring diagrams, so I simply had to have one.  Incidentally, if you read my comment in the recent "twinspark" discussion somewhere around here, this very diagram is the one that shows two spark plugs...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 09:51:00 pm
Wiring diagram poster:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/wiring-diagram-poster-1708.html

Color version is extra-fancy... and crazy expensive - but if it's accurate and colored in a useful way it's probably awesome.

I bought the black & white version late last year when I found it on sale for $17.  It was a good investment - really is poster-sized and very easy to read.  I'm new to RE bikes, and riding, for that matter, but not new to wiring diagrams, so I simply had to have one.  Incidentally, if you read my comment in the recent "twinspark" discussion somewhere around here, this very diagram is the one that shows two spark plugs...
Cool, I've bookmarked the page already.
Prices have indeed that wet cloth trait. Hey, still winter here.  ;D

Barring the secondary plug, including the special odd-shaped tool only relevant for Indian models, have you found other oddities or errors?
Editing as in proof-reading does not get the care yet it deserves.
An error proof copy would eventually warrant the excessive pricing.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 10:29:47 pm
I haven't found what I would call errors; but I haven't spent any time comparing the diagram to my actual bike.  I plan to do so soon when I do some pre-spring mods and adjustments.

I did my own coloring on my diagram (I was bored at work); in doing so, I noticed that there are some wires between components and connectors that aren't labeled with any colors.  I originally assumed that this implied that the colors were the same on both sides of the connector, but I also found instances where wire colors changed across connectors.  So until I can confirm the wire colors, they remain unknown to me.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:26 pm
Think of the wiring diagrams as merely a suggestion ;)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 10:34:39 pm
Think of the wiring diagrams as merely a suggestion ;)
Look what you did:
Now I have to clean my desk and get another cup'o tea  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 11:12:26 pm
I find them good for reference on small sections, but I get a headache when I look at the thing as a whole.  It doesn't seem like there are many direct paths, everything piggy backs on something else's power, ground, or both.  It's not the way I would do it, but then the way I would do it requires a few lengths of heavier gauge wire that are relatively expensive.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:14 pm
I find them good for reference on small sections, but I get a headache when I look at the thing as a whole.  It doesn't seem like there are many direct paths, everything piggy backs on something else's power, ground, or both.  It's not the way I would do it, but then the way I would do it requires a few lengths of heavier gauge wire that are relatively expensive.  Easier to fix, more reliable, but less efficient in wire use and so more expensive.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:56 pm
+1...  that guy knows what he's talking about!! ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 02:12:08 pm
I always quote that guy's stuff!

gremlin