Author Topic: How reliable are the iron barrels?  (Read 6249 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00:58 am
In South Africa, Johannesburg, we can hit 34c - 36c (mid 90f's) in summer but we average 30c (86f). We are hitting winter now and it'll average at around 15c (59f) and drop down to or past 0c (32f) on most mornings.

Right now my bike is sitting on 2700kms (about 1700miles). Its still a baby :)

The above info from many people was good advice.
Don't ever try to be in a "rush" on a Bullet. That's when they die. Ride at the recommended speeds, but use the gears to keep the rpms in the "happy range", and it will do fine. If you ever hear "pinging" shift to a lower gear to avoid it, or back off the throttle.

Regarding temperatures, you must learn how to jet your carburetor for the changing seasons. The jetting is temperature sensitive, and one single jetting combination cannot go all year 'round. The winter months need richer jets, and the hot summer months will need leaner jets.
This is something that we all must learn how to do to our Bullets.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 02:31:48 pm
I'm currently reading Pete Snidal's manual right now so i'll get there :)

Thanks all for the advice!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 11:59:13 pm
In South Africa, Johannesburg, we can hit 34c - 36c (mid 90f's) in summer but we average 30c (86f). We are hitting winter now and it'll average at around 15c (59f) and drop down to or past 0c (32f) on most mornings.

Where I live the average daily winter temperature is a little lower. Summer temperatures are about the same. 

Right now my bike is sitting on 2700kms (about 1700miles). Its still a baby :)

WOW !!! Luck you !!!

If it hasn't happened yet, somewhere between now and 3,500 k your Bullet will probably start to run a little smother and free-er and rev a little more willingly ;D

It's not un common for it to happen suddenly.
sounds like it already happened.

Update

I just found your intro thread and the pic of your DeLuxe.

WOW !! What a stunner !!!

In the end of your exhaust pipe just before the muffler is a device known as a "hot tube" or alternately "hot pipe".
 This incredibly restrictive piece of perforated steel tubing chokes the internal diameter of the exhaust pipe down to 25mm for the last 30 cm before the muffler.

Many have have removed it by grinding the four welds that hold it in place.
Carb adjustment is required afterward. Often times raising the needle one groove and adjusting the mixture screw dis the trick.

Use the site search tool using terms like hot tube, hot pipe and de restrict/ derestrict or variations thereof.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:05:14 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 07:24:07 am
Thanks for the info Ice, the Silencer mod is definately something I will be doing shortly. Just still a little precious about cutting up my baby still :D Does it make a big difference to the performance?

In other news, Operation Highway @ 90km/h (55mph) was a success. If I stick to the middle and slow lanes its quite manageable. Average speed is around 30km/h with short spurts of 90km/h which i'm pretty sure the Bullet will be happy with :)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 12:20:13 am
Thanks for the info Ice, the Silencer mod is definately something I will be doing shortly. Just still a little precious about cutting up my baby still :D Does it make a big difference to the performance?
The difference is noticeable but not dramatic like nitrous or a supercharger would be.

In other news, Operation Highway @ 90km/h (55mph) was a success. If I stick to the middle and slow lanes its quite manageable. Average speed is around 30km/h with short spurts of 90km/h which i'm pretty sure the Bullet will be happy with :)

Glad to hear it.
Those speeds are right in the sweet spots and your Bullet won't be the only happy one ;)  8)

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 04:48:39 am
Lol, clearly you haven't ridden on SA highways, they are fast! We have the esteemed priveledge of having one of the highest death tolls on our roads, something like 30000 per year! You need to have your wits about you!

I've been doing some reading on modding the exhaust and tbh, I'm not feeling it. I rate a better route to take is but a shorty off Hitchcocks and take it from there :) ill post a thread closer to the time for advice but my 1st purchase looks to be a shorty silencer, bigger jet and K&N filter. Ill keep the PAV system. To me it looks like it does more good than harm and it seems to be a 50/50 split as to whether it adds to the performance actually taking it off. I guess you would need to dyno a bike to be sure.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 05:04:21 am
The shorty is good choice. Add a standard non restricted head pipe and 30mm flat slide carby and you will kill three birds with one stone.

A bit more giddy up go, a smoother running engine and lowered head temps.

Not to mention those mods are right at the price point of cost vs effectiveness.

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 08:41:31 am
Hello Young Gun,
G'day from Australia via the USA! Congratulations on your Bullet! You will bond with it and it will become part of the family.

I was interested to read your comments on the traffic and the back roads. It is the same here in Australia...a crumbling infrastructure combined by too much growth has led to horrible traffic, with the back roads, (when there are back roads,) being full of huge trucks and cars trying to avoid toll-roads!! That is how I blew a hole in my piston and had to rebuild the engine! :'( I had no choice but to keep up with traffic or get squashed. I had a philosophy of keeping to back roads and riding at lower speeds to enjoy the scenery and keep the engine in the happy zone etc, etc, etc... Be careful and be aware you may not be able to stick to your plan.

Since I rebuilt the motor with the help of Ace, Pete Snidal's book and some patient folks on internet forums, the bike is vastly improved and capable of cruising at 100kph easily. It is possible for the average owner to do almost all the work himself (I did it and I had never done more than change the oil) They are simple engines. Just beware, they can be delicate in original factory trim.

The stock pistons should be changed out as soon as you can.

Be well

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 01:44:14 pm
another option that is often overlooked is to change the primary drive gear
from the stock 17 tooth to the 18 tooth. this can add almost
5 mph to your motors "Happy place".
          - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 02:13:02 pm
I put an 18t sprocket on my bike.  Seems more comfortable cruising at 55-60mph but I never take it over that.  You'll loose torque though.....FYI I also have a 34mm mikuni, free flow exhaust and ace air canister......

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 08:19:12 pm
Hello Young Gun,
G'day from Australia via the USA! Congratulations on your Bullet! You will bond with it and it will become part of the family.

I was interested to read your comments on the traffic and the back roads. It is the same here in Australia...a crumbling infrastructure combined by too much growth has led to horrible traffic, with the back roads, (when there are back roads,) being full of huge trucks and cars trying to avoid toll-roads!! That is how I blew a hole in my piston and had to rebuild the engine! :'( I had no choice but to keep up with traffic or get squashed. I had a philosophy of keeping to back roads and riding at lower speeds to enjoy the scenery and keep the engine in the happy zone etc, etc, etc... Be careful and be aware you may not be able to stick to your plan.

Since I rebuilt the motor with the help of Ace, Pete Snidal's book and some patient folks on internet forums, the bike is vastly improved and capable of cruising at 100kph easily. It is possible for the average owner to do almost all the work himself (I did it and I had never done more than change the oil) They are simple engines. Just beware, they can be delicate in original factory trim.

The stock pistons should be changed out as soon as you can.

Be well

We are just starting to hit the toll road phase now. We have had tolls on the national roads but they will be implementing tolls on our normal highways in the next few months. Should be interesting to see how it affects the dynamics. I expect disaster to be honest, Sanral, an independent company manages our highways, the government manages our back roads which although not horrendous, are not without their potholes from time to time. Add trucks and more traffic to that equation and I forsee crumbling and massively pot holed roads in our future, Ce la vie.

Ill see what happens, ill do the standard mods, see how the bike handles the traffic and take it from there :) I'm not aiming to blow the motor, actually leaving it as is is preferable but life may serve a different dish :)