Author Topic: The Body And Paint Work Begin  (Read 20094 times)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:32 pm
Don't feel bad, at the factory that manufactured the outboards we sold, had a crew that's all they did. I was told it took some time before the new guy doing it got the knack.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:54 am
I spoke with the seller from Ebay.  After talking to him on the phone for about 10 minutes he agreed to give me my money back.  He was bring very defensive about, implying that it was my fault and that I didn't know what I was doing.  What eve, he said he'd give me my money back so cool.  I think I'm going to have someone local cut me a couple stencils of the  and logo ghost it on with gold base coat.
Scottie
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:41:51 am by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 01:50:54 am
That was good of him.
He's got to figure that he's dealing with a total klutz who couldn't unroll a roll of toilet paper without instructions so it's pretty natural for him to be somewhat defensive.

Obviously you convinced him that this isn't your first ride on the merry-go-round and you do know what your doing.

I imagine even that wasn't totally convincing so I'm sure you mentioned all of the wisdom here on the RE forum that guided you.   :o ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:39 am
That was good of him.
He's got to figure that he's dealing with a total klutz who couldn't unroll a roll of toilet paper without instructions so it's pretty natural for him to be somewhat defensive.

Obviously you convinced him that this isn't your first ride on the merry-go-round and you do know what your doing.

I imagine even that wasn't totally convincing so I'm sure you mentioned all of the wisdom here on the RE forum that guided you.   :o ;D

I was like "Dude, I installed vinyl graphics professionally for almost 3 years.  I did EXACTLY what you just said I needed to do, and the backing would not release from the graphic."  Then he kept saying "I don't make the decals I just order them from the factory.  But $20 isn't going to break my bank so I'll just give you your money back."  So I was like "Cooooooooooool.   8) "

Anyways, I stopped at a graphic shop on my way home from work and talked to a guy about what I wanted and he had me step into his office.  He grabs the "Indian Motorcycles" logo off a website, starts editing the logo and transforms it into a stencil EXACTLY how I wanted in like 5 minutes, maybe less.  Tells me $30 for the two stencils and they'll be ready for me at noon tomorrow.  Travesty averted.  AND I remembered that I still have some gold base coat leftover from a job I did last summer.  I might get this paint job finished up with in the next week.  Sweet.
Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 05:40:41 am
I painted the logos tonight.  I couldn't decide between doing it solid or doing it ghost, so I did a little of both.  I did a light ghost coat and then went back and hard lined the leading edge.  I'm happy with it.  Now I just need to pick up some more clear coat.
Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 02:23:56 am
The paint job is REALLY coming along now.  I got 8 coats of clear on the gas tank today and while I was baking the clear on the tank I decided to go ahead and wet sand and buff the rear fender.  The fender came out beautiful, surface is flat as glass and I got a real good buff on it.  The tank looks great as well, a couple small runs on the bottom but nothing that can't be sanded out.  All I have left is to paint a couple small brackets and the rear fender mount and sand and buff the tank.  Then I'll be ready for reassembly.

I really like how the Indian logo came out.  It's bold, but the way I sprayed it gives it a rustic-worn look.  Very happy with it.      :)
Scottie

PS  Like my gas tank stand I built for $20 yesterday?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 30, 2013, 04:01:45 am
That looks great!  Very nice work Scottie. Can't wait to see the reassembly.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 04:22:09 am
 Man, am I ever impressed ! Great job Scottie J !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: March 30, 2013, 05:29:19 am
It sucks because the sun wasn't out when I took those pics so you can't see the metal flake.  And you can scratch "wet sand and buff the tank" off of the to-do list.  Just finished that a few minutes ago.  Can't wait to see it in the sun!

DanB - I too am excited for the reassembly!
Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: March 30, 2013, 01:08:05 pm
VERY NICE.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: March 30, 2013, 02:49:46 pm
Fantastic job...Looks like your garage is fairly new and empty with plenty of room to maneuver.  Mine is loaded with bikes and mower.. looks like you live in a HOA community.  keep that compressor noise down will ya.... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:12 pm
Thanks guys!  I've definitely put a lot of hours into this bike getting to look this good.  But all that hard work is starting to pay off now.

Fantastic job...Looks like your garage is fairly new and empty with plenty of room to maneuver.  Mine is loaded with bikes and mower.. looks like you live in a HOA community.  keep that compressor noise down will ya.... ;D

Actually I live in a really big apartment complex, 22 buildings all together.  I rent the garage from the apartments here for $100 a month.  Its only 12'x20' but its big enough for most of the stuff I need to do.  I'm always paranoid about my neighbors seeing me paint in my garage, but I'm starting to realize that a lot of my neighbors are just excited to see what the bike is going to look like.   I shouldn't be worried though, a week or two ago I was spraying and I popped the door open to let the fumes out and there were 2 police officers standing right there.  I thought I was in trouble.  But they just were curious as to why there was so much "smoke" coming out of my garage.  They realized I was just painting a guitar and went about their business.

Scottie

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: March 30, 2013, 04:27:16 pm
Yup I was wondering about that...GLAD to c u can do it there without much hindrance...Appears that the garages are set u like a friend of mine new development..A narrow alleyway in the rear out of sight/ out of mind for accessing the garage...Auto bodywork might present a different situation....Could had been a short story on the 1 Adam 12 series with u with a paint gun in your hand .....Keep up the good work an keep it straight and even.  Happy Easter to ya.  GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: March 30, 2013, 08:12:00 pm
So I HAD to see what the bike is going to look like, so I did a mock up today.  I love it!

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: April 06, 2013, 10:31:54 pm
I put in some hours last night and I'm now about 90% complete on the restoration.  The only thing left is replacing the control rubbers, getting the new electronic ignition and eventually put some new rubber on the wheels.

I have to say I am extremely happy with how things came out.  There's a couple flaws in the paint that I can see, things that could have been avoided if I had been spraying in a paint booth and not a garage with a 60 watt shop light and a propane heater.  But you know what, it still looks damn good and I'm proud to say that I built it.    :)   There's a couple places that I should do some touch ups, but I may just leave them there to give it character.   

Scottie