Author Topic: Correct assembly of shims and thrust washer on sprag clutch shaft  (Read 1447 times)

maxy123

• Scooter
Hi Guys
I own an RE Bullet 500 4 gear with electric start 2002. I replaced the sprag clutch and on starting the machine  it sounded like as if there was a couple of loose nuts being swirled around the engine. I did nothing to the engine so it was reasonable to assume that the problem lay in the area I had worked on.
I stripped it down again and could find no evidence of damage. The only suspect was that perhaps there was too much end float on the sprag clutch.I spoke with Hitchcock, a main agent  in the UK and according to his parts list there was not only a shim but also a thrust washer. All reference that I can see just refers to the shims and I see no
mention of the thrush washer.

The  method suggested to me for  assembly is:
Driver cog
Thrush washer
Driving cog
Shim
Does anyone have any experience in this area and is this the correct assembly method.
Do you think this rather loud and worrying sound could be the sprag clutch sliding from side to side or something else?
One further question I have is the correct torque for the the stator nuts, As your are aware it is crucial for these nuts to remain tight as there is the potential to do expensive damage. I noticed doing a search on  the forum that it was stated that this information could be found in the manual which is not of any use to me as  my manual makes no reference to it.
Thank you for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you
Regards