Author Topic: The Body And Paint Work Begin  (Read 20125 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 08, 2013, 05:52:10 am
I got a start on the body work for my 58 Trailblazer today.  I trimmed the rear fender down to remove the atrocity someone made with a cutting torch trying to make mounting holes for a tail light.  And I also filled in the old seat mounting holes.

Before                                                                                        After

I'll finish the body work on the fender tomorrow and get it ready for primer, and then start on the tank.  And I also changer my mind on the paint scheme.  I decided that instead of doing the orange metal flake with the black stripe, I'm doing the ENTIRE bike in black metal flake.

I think it will make it a little meaner/aggressive looking but still keep the vintage metal flake paint.  I'll keep this post going and update on a regular basis on my progress.  I'm getting super excited for this build.  I can't wait for it all to come together in the end!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:08:06 am
Got the metal flake in the mail today, it's tiny and shiny!  I hope to have the body work finished and be in primer on Monday, my next day off.  If everything goes to plan, I should be in paint on Thursday!  At the rate I'm going I should be finished and completely back together by next weekend.    :D

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:20 pm
Are you going to do the frame?   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:54 pm
Yep!  Here is everything that is going to get painted:  Gas tank, frame, swing arm, rear fender, rear fender bracket, upper engine mount brackets, upper fork tube covers and the casquette.  And MAYBE the head light RIM, haven't decided on that one yet.

After this, all I'll have to do is buy new control rubbers and get that electronic ignition, and eventually replace the vintage tires with some dual sport treads.  A few more paychecks and I'm going to have myself a a brand new vintage bad boy!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:39:52 am
Ran to to the paint store today and picked up everything I needed to finish up.  I'm in the garage right now in between coats of primer.  Got the body work all done as planned.  I'll post some pics of my progress in the morning.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:40:56 pm
Well, after a long day of running around and busting my hump in the garage, I finally got the tank and fender into primer.  I also decided to repair a small ding in the left fork tube cover being that I'm going to be painting it.  The gas tank was in far worse condition than I originally had thought.  I worked it for about 4 hours and got it as good as I could, but I had top stop where I was as the body filler was getting a little thick.  There must have been a massive dent in the right side of tank, because I noticed there was already fiberglass filler there and it still wasn't anywhere close to the shape it should've been.  Other than that 1 spot, the tank came out pretty damn good.  If I stay on schedule, I should have the primer sanded tomorrow and be ready to shoot paint on Thursday!   Scottie

Here's something that most people don't get to see, body work BEFORE it goes into primer.  It always LOOKS so bad seeing all the different layers of body filler, primer and paint, (looks are very deceiving) but believe it or not, it's smooth as a baby's bottom.

Also found a not so pleasant surprise dumping out the gas tank

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:09:27 pm
Scottie J: So u were surprise to find filler..Your primer coat will reveal any relevant imperfections.  Those petcock screens look like they trapped a bit of rust n dirt...Are u gonna clean those up or just put in a new one....
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:23:03 pm
Scottie J: So u were surprise to find filler..Your primer coat will reveal any relevant imperfections.  Those petcock screens look like they trapped a bit of rust n dirt...Are u gonna clean those up or just put in a new one....

Noooooooooooooo, not at all surprised.  In fact, I don't think I've EVER done a restoration and NOT found filler!  LOL  But it wasn't as bad as the '66 Nova I painted in 2011 (both 1/4 panels all mud).  There's 2 small high spots in the tank and a couple small pin holes that I gotten taken care of.  I'll probably need a little glaze here and there but I should be good to go. I got 4 coats of primer on it so what little imperfections are there won't be for long.  I think you guys will be impressed when you see what I am capable of.   8)

As far as those fuel filters go, I'm replacing them.  I already ripped them off and cleaned out the valves real good.  Should have seen all the crap that came out of the tank.  I rinsed and swished it around 3 different times.  It was pretty bad.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 06:33:23 pm
Here's a couple pics of the gas tank and rear fender in primer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:23 pm
That was fast...Your auto pics look great .Are u now independent? It seems body repair and restoration is always in need and you have the skills to get it done correctly... 8)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:19 pm
Yes, I'm independent now.  I've been talking to a potential business partner and hopefully be opening an actual shop here in the near future.  But I've been working out of my garage for the last couple years.  I absolutely love doing restorations.  Is so rewarding seeing the end product.   Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:26 pm
Alright people!  Its crunch time!  The anticipation is too much.  I've decided that I'm pulling an all-nighter tonight and kick some serious ass on this bike.  The primer came out great and additional body work is going to be minimal.  Wish me luck and good results!

Scottie

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:26 am
Back in my college days, I did an all-nighter once.
We were up in my apartment and we got to fooling around and before I knew.....

Wait.  :o

That's not what your thinking of doing is it?  ;) 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 03:29:45 pm
Back in my college days, I did an all-nighter once.
We were up in my apartment and we got to fooling around and before I knew.....

Wait.  :o

That's not what your thinking of doing is it?  ;) 

LMFAO!  I was in the garage between coats when I read that post on my phone and I laughed so hard!    ;D   I only went to 1 semester of college and didn't party much there, but boy do I have some stories from my early 20's.   LOL     ;)

So, it didn't end up being an ALL-nighter, but I was in the garage until 2am.  And man am I happy with the results.  Everything came out great, just awesome.  I ended up spraying 4 coats of metal flake and 4 coats clear on the tank and fender (industry standard is 2 coats of clear, but you have to gung ho when you're doing metal flakes and custom graphics).  I wanted to do 6 coats of clear but while spraying I decided that 4 coats should be a good starting place.   I can always add more later if I decide that I want more depth.

So here's a little taste of what I did last night and of what's to come.
Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:23 pm
Scottie, it's not shiny enough.  ;D  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 10:16:03 pm
Scottie, it's not shiny enough.  ;D  ERC

You mean my clear reflection in the paint taking a picture of myself isn't good enough?!   :D

Wait a minute.....  Upon further review, you can see the whole back corner of my garage!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 12:50:52 am
Well, it looks pretty good except for that big white glob of paint on it.
Did your kid sneak in there with his paint set?  :o

Oh, wait.

That's just a reflection of the ceiling light isn't it?
Now that I've read your last post I will raise your status in my "list".
Anyone with a cluttered up work bench like mine must be one of the good guys. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 03:38:42 am
Now that I've read your last post I will raise your status in my "list".
Anyone with a cluttered up work bench like mine must be one of the good guys. :)

Cluttered?  That's organized madness on that table shelves!  And I'd like to think of myself as one of the good 'ol boys.   8)

And ERC you are right.  It's not shiny enough.  I've decided to wet sand and do an additional 3 coats of clear.  I want this bike PERFECT!

Scottie

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 03:59:08 am
Too bad you don't live in my neck of the woods.
My 1999 10th Anniversary Edition Miata's clear coat decided it was time to start flaking and peeling.  Probably going to cost me an arm and leg to get it repainted.
They only used the metallic Sapphire Blue on the 8500 cars they made of that model. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 01:17:07 pm
The part I hate is when they look that good everyone has to touch it and get fingerprints on it.  ERC

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 06:09:09 pm
I was wondering what that blotch was at the bottom. Oh...it was you!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 10:53:14 pm
The part I hate is when they look that good everyone has to touch it and get fingerprints on it.  ERC

That's why I carry a TASER and zap anyone who touches it!  LOL   ;D

Actually, out here in Denver the majority of people around have good hot rod etiquette and know not to touch.  There are still a few bozos though that don't know any better, and those people deserve to be slapped sometimes.  I'm not too worried about finger prints though, because when I have a ride this nice I tend to detail it 3-5 times a week anyways.

BTW  What do you guys think of slapping these on the tank???
Scottie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Motorcycle-00-01-Chief-Scout-Gold-Tank-Decals-Set-26-204-/111031710594?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19da017382&vxp=mtr

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 11:16:30 pm
I think they would look real nice. Do you think you could clear coat over them?  ERC

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 11:18:56 pm
That could work or the NFG catalog says they offer this tank sticker.

It's pretty big at 10 1/2" long X 2 3/4 tall.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/catalogsearch/result/?q=z91281
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 11:33:03 pm
ERC - Yes I would definitely clear over the top of them.

Arizoni - I saw that style too and I'm just not feeling it.  I think those were for the Chiefs, I could be wrong.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:30 pm
I know what you mean.

The Indian's shown in "Royal Enfield-By Miles The Best" have a nice oval shaped decal with a small Indian head at the top and a "Indian" logo at the bottom.

If I had to guess I'd say they are about 5 inches long and 3 inches high.
I haven't spent a lot of time looking but I haven't found anyone offering one like this.

The only bike that book shows that is using the script Indian logo is a 248cc Fire Arrow but probably less than 1/4 percent of all the people looking at your bike would know that.
The script was used and the gold color will go nicely with the black metal flake paint.

I'm sure your all ready for the, "Indian never sold anything like that bike!  Who do you think your kiddin'?" remarks.  There's going to be a lot of them. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 04:47:15 am
I'm sure your all ready for the, "Indian never sold anything like that bike!  Who do you think your kiddin'?" remarks.  There's going to be a lot of them. :)

I know what you're saying.  That's why I keep going back and forth with the decals.  They would look nice and be appropiate.  But thenagain it is fun explaing to everyone that I own a '58 Indian, but it's not really an Indian.  Maybe I should do some ghost flames instead???

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 03:51:09 am
Well, I wet sanded the frame and gave it 2 more good wet coats of clear and it looks damn good.  Hopefully by Tuesday it will be dry enough to reassemble the chassis.  I ordered the Indian decals for the tank just now so as soon as those get here I can slap them on the tank and give the rear fender and tank 3 more coats of clear.  Then a little wet sand and buff on the tank and fender and on to final assembly.
Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 03:12:52 am
I got the handle bars, frame, swing arm and shocks thrown back together today.  Now I can roll it it out of the garage when I go to reclear the tank and fender.  And now I know why a lot of people bitch about the snail adjusters.  What a piece of crap those are.  Does anyone make a conversion to a bolt style adjuster?
Scottie

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:17:46 am by Scottie J »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 01:57:06 pm
Not that I know of. You could maybe modify a set that fit the Bullets. I was wondering when are you sleeping with this project going? Have you seen your wife and kids lately?   ;D  ERC

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 02:24:06 pm
I was wondering when are you sleeping with this project going? Have you seen your wife and kids lately?   ;D  ERC

LOL  I have like A.D.D. or something.  I HATE sitting around doing nothing.  So if the wife is just hanging out around the house I'm usually in the garage working on some aspect of the bike.  And I still normally get to bed by 10 pm.  Unless I'm pulling a late night spraying paint.  I like to do that at night so my neighbors don't see me purging the overspray out of my garage between coats.   ;)

I'm actually going to the mountains with the wife today.  We do that from time to time.  Go to one of the small "touristy" towns and get some lunch and look at at the different stores.  Can't wait to get the bike done so I can start taking my bike to the mountains again.  That's always a good time.   Scottie.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:33:02 pm by Scottie J »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:40 am
Just finished up wet sanding and reclearing the rear fender.  Check it out......   A record 10 COATS!!!   The most clear I've ever sprayed at 1 time before this was 5 coats.  It ended being about a half quart of clear.  Now to do the same to tank once I get the stickers!
Scottie
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:53:40 am by Scottie J »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:13 pm
10 coats should do it. :)

As I recall, I put over 15 coats of finishing oil on this rifle.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 02:36:02 am
Wow, that's nice.  What year is that from?  Do you shoot it?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27:51 am
I built it about 8 years ago.
I haven't shot it for years but yes, I put about 30 rounds thru it to sight it in when I finished it.  It has a swamped .54 caliber barrel made for shooting patched roundballs.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 05:52:02 pm
So I got the "decals" yesterday.  Open up the box and realize the "decals" are backwards.  I send the seller a message and he informs that they are actually water transfers, not "decals".    :(     I hate water transfers.  Sure, they look nicer when you clear coat over them because they leave less of an edge, but they're such a PITA to work with.  I'm going to be wet sanding anyways so I wasn't worried about an edge, but now I have to worry about getting them on straight without f*cking them up.  Sure would have been nice if the seller listed the item correctly and not as "decals".  Oh well, I got a couple lemons, I'll just have make some lemonade I guess.  But I should probably add some vodka to that lemonade.    ;D
Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:52 pm
I think you'll need the vodka for the water transfers. I hate them you need a mess of them to practice on.   ERC

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 12:24:20 am
I've done them before, not at all fun.  These ones do appear to be of a thicker material so maybe they will be a little easier to work with.  I'll find out tomorrow after work.
Scottie

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #38 on: March 22, 2013, 01:27:15 am
The gold script logos will look nice...good work!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 05:18:58 pm
 >:(  Some M#@*~^r F^$#¡R scratched my freaking frame yesterday!   Son of a bitch!  I parked it outside for 2 or 3 hours so I could work on the gas tank and my buddies guitar and I just looked at it now and there's TWO make that THREE scratches in the saddle area on the left side.  And after further review of the area there's a scuff mark about 6" long with about 4 or 5 scratches intermittently.  Damn kids these days, they don't respect anything.  I know he swung his backpack into it because I was watching him, just didn't realize he actually hit it.    >:(  >:(  >:(
Scottie

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:56:58 pm by Scottie J »

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 08:02:58 pm
Damn...if he HAD realized that he hit it,he probably would have said "My bad!",which is not really "Beg your pardon",or "I'm sorry"...kids these days...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 10:56:04 pm
I know it's the current expression but to me it doesn't say "I'm sorry".  It says "my bad did it.  I'm totally innocent.  Don't blame me!"

Even the tone of voice they use when they say it means it doesn't mean a dam thing to them.

Now, if I had my way, when they say "my bad" it would actually mean they got the message as in,
"I sure would like to sit down and talk with you for awhile but "my bad" ass is still hurting from the resounding kick it received from a guy when I damaged his motorcycle."  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 11:23:31 pm
At least it's in an area you won't notice to much. Not like on the tank you just did.  ERC

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 02:13:44 am
Spray bottle of distilled water.

Wet the tank well enough and you can slide the transfer all the way around.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 05:26:53 pm
Water transfers were an utter failure.  No matter what I did there were several spots where the graphic just absolutely would not release from the backing.  I contacted the seller to see if he's going to do anything.  Those water transfers were junk.
Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:32 pm
Don't feel bad, at the factory that manufactured the outboards we sold, had a crew that's all they did. I was told it took some time before the new guy doing it got the knack.  ERC

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:54 am
I spoke with the seller from Ebay.  After talking to him on the phone for about 10 minutes he agreed to give me my money back.  He was bring very defensive about, implying that it was my fault and that I didn't know what I was doing.  What eve, he said he'd give me my money back so cool.  I think I'm going to have someone local cut me a couple stencils of the  and logo ghost it on with gold base coat.
Scottie
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:41:51 am by Scottie J »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 01:50:54 am
That was good of him.
He's got to figure that he's dealing with a total klutz who couldn't unroll a roll of toilet paper without instructions so it's pretty natural for him to be somewhat defensive.

Obviously you convinced him that this isn't your first ride on the merry-go-round and you do know what your doing.

I imagine even that wasn't totally convincing so I'm sure you mentioned all of the wisdom here on the RE forum that guided you.   :o ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:39 am
That was good of him.
He's got to figure that he's dealing with a total klutz who couldn't unroll a roll of toilet paper without instructions so it's pretty natural for him to be somewhat defensive.

Obviously you convinced him that this isn't your first ride on the merry-go-round and you do know what your doing.

I imagine even that wasn't totally convincing so I'm sure you mentioned all of the wisdom here on the RE forum that guided you.   :o ;D

I was like "Dude, I installed vinyl graphics professionally for almost 3 years.  I did EXACTLY what you just said I needed to do, and the backing would not release from the graphic."  Then he kept saying "I don't make the decals I just order them from the factory.  But $20 isn't going to break my bank so I'll just give you your money back."  So I was like "Cooooooooooool.   8) "

Anyways, I stopped at a graphic shop on my way home from work and talked to a guy about what I wanted and he had me step into his office.  He grabs the "Indian Motorcycles" logo off a website, starts editing the logo and transforms it into a stencil EXACTLY how I wanted in like 5 minutes, maybe less.  Tells me $30 for the two stencils and they'll be ready for me at noon tomorrow.  Travesty averted.  AND I remembered that I still have some gold base coat leftover from a job I did last summer.  I might get this paint job finished up with in the next week.  Sweet.
Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 05:40:41 am
I painted the logos tonight.  I couldn't decide between doing it solid or doing it ghost, so I did a little of both.  I did a light ghost coat and then went back and hard lined the leading edge.  I'm happy with it.  Now I just need to pick up some more clear coat.
Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 02:23:56 am
The paint job is REALLY coming along now.  I got 8 coats of clear on the gas tank today and while I was baking the clear on the tank I decided to go ahead and wet sand and buff the rear fender.  The fender came out beautiful, surface is flat as glass and I got a real good buff on it.  The tank looks great as well, a couple small runs on the bottom but nothing that can't be sanded out.  All I have left is to paint a couple small brackets and the rear fender mount and sand and buff the tank.  Then I'll be ready for reassembly.

I really like how the Indian logo came out.  It's bold, but the way I sprayed it gives it a rustic-worn look.  Very happy with it.      :)
Scottie

PS  Like my gas tank stand I built for $20 yesterday?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 30, 2013, 04:01:45 am
That looks great!  Very nice work Scottie. Can't wait to see the reassembly.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 04:22:09 am
 Man, am I ever impressed ! Great job Scottie J !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: March 30, 2013, 05:29:19 am
It sucks because the sun wasn't out when I took those pics so you can't see the metal flake.  And you can scratch "wet sand and buff the tank" off of the to-do list.  Just finished that a few minutes ago.  Can't wait to see it in the sun!

DanB - I too am excited for the reassembly!
Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: March 30, 2013, 01:08:05 pm
VERY NICE.    ERC

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: March 30, 2013, 02:49:46 pm
Fantastic job...Looks like your garage is fairly new and empty with plenty of room to maneuver.  Mine is loaded with bikes and mower.. looks like you live in a HOA community.  keep that compressor noise down will ya.... ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:12 pm
Thanks guys!  I've definitely put a lot of hours into this bike getting to look this good.  But all that hard work is starting to pay off now.

Fantastic job...Looks like your garage is fairly new and empty with plenty of room to maneuver.  Mine is loaded with bikes and mower.. looks like you live in a HOA community.  keep that compressor noise down will ya.... ;D

Actually I live in a really big apartment complex, 22 buildings all together.  I rent the garage from the apartments here for $100 a month.  Its only 12'x20' but its big enough for most of the stuff I need to do.  I'm always paranoid about my neighbors seeing me paint in my garage, but I'm starting to realize that a lot of my neighbors are just excited to see what the bike is going to look like.   I shouldn't be worried though, a week or two ago I was spraying and I popped the door open to let the fumes out and there were 2 police officers standing right there.  I thought I was in trouble.  But they just were curious as to why there was so much "smoke" coming out of my garage.  They realized I was just painting a guitar and went about their business.

Scottie

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: March 30, 2013, 04:27:16 pm
Yup I was wondering about that...GLAD to c u can do it there without much hindrance...Appears that the garages are set u like a friend of mine new development..A narrow alleyway in the rear out of sight/ out of mind for accessing the garage...Auto bodywork might present a different situation....Could had been a short story on the 1 Adam 12 series with u with a paint gun in your hand .....Keep up the good work an keep it straight and even.  Happy Easter to ya.  GM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: March 30, 2013, 08:12:00 pm
So I HAD to see what the bike is going to look like, so I did a mock up today.  I love it!

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: April 06, 2013, 10:31:54 pm
I put in some hours last night and I'm now about 90% complete on the restoration.  The only thing left is replacing the control rubbers, getting the new electronic ignition and eventually put some new rubber on the wheels.

I have to say I am extremely happy with how things came out.  There's a couple flaws in the paint that I can see, things that could have been avoided if I had been spraying in a paint booth and not a garage with a 60 watt shop light and a propane heater.  But you know what, it still looks damn good and I'm proud to say that I built it.    :)   There's a couple places that I should do some touch ups, but I may just leave them there to give it character.   

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 03:19:08 pm
Looks super!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: April 07, 2013, 10:48:51 pm
Lookin' good Scottie. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: April 08, 2013, 03:13:43 am
Looks great!  What are you going to do for tail light, license and signals (if at all)?  Are you going to put new carbies on?
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: April 08, 2013, 02:24:39 pm
Looks great!  What are you going to do for tail light, license and signals (if at all)?  Are you going to put new carbies on?

DanB - If you look at the very last pic that I posted the other day you can see the side mount license plate/tail light mount on the left side of the bike.  I don't have turn signals because here in Colorado they are not required.  I only need tail light, brake light, head light with low/high switch, a left side mirror and DOT tires.  And I already have a new Amal 930 Concentric for the bike, I just didn't have it mounted for those pics.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: April 13, 2013, 03:44:30 am
FREAKING EXCITED!!!

Just budgeted my finances and things are looking awesome!  Monday I will be ordering the Thorspark Electronic Ignition on Ebay.  It's coming out of England so I'm guessing it will probably be 5-10 days for it to show up, but the bike will finally be running RIGHT and I'll be able to go for my first ride!  Man I cannot wait.  I don't think I've ever been so excited to jump a bike for the first time.    ;D ;D ;D

Scottie

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #65 on: April 13, 2013, 03:46:39 am
+1 !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: April 13, 2013, 05:09:03 am
Just ordered my foot peg-shifter-kicker rubbers from Enfield County on Ebay for only $21.  I have to wait on the ignition so I figured I might as well a get a great deal on one of the last finishing touches that I actually NEED.  Sweet!    8)

Scottie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261073826755