Author Topic: The Body And Paint Work Begin  (Read 20025 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 08, 2013, 05:52:10 am
I got a start on the body work for my 58 Trailblazer today.  I trimmed the rear fender down to remove the atrocity someone made with a cutting torch trying to make mounting holes for a tail light.  And I also filled in the old seat mounting holes.

Before                                                                                        After

I'll finish the body work on the fender tomorrow and get it ready for primer, and then start on the tank.  And I also changer my mind on the paint scheme.  I decided that instead of doing the orange metal flake with the black stripe, I'm doing the ENTIRE bike in black metal flake.

I think it will make it a little meaner/aggressive looking but still keep the vintage metal flake paint.  I'll keep this post going and update on a regular basis on my progress.  I'm getting super excited for this build.  I can't wait for it all to come together in the end!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:08:06 am
Got the metal flake in the mail today, it's tiny and shiny!  I hope to have the body work finished and be in primer on Monday, my next day off.  If everything goes to plan, I should be in paint on Thursday!  At the rate I'm going I should be finished and completely back together by next weekend.    :D

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:20 pm
Are you going to do the frame?   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:54 pm
Yep!  Here is everything that is going to get painted:  Gas tank, frame, swing arm, rear fender, rear fender bracket, upper engine mount brackets, upper fork tube covers and the casquette.  And MAYBE the head light RIM, haven't decided on that one yet.

After this, all I'll have to do is buy new control rubbers and get that electronic ignition, and eventually replace the vintage tires with some dual sport treads.  A few more paychecks and I'm going to have myself a a brand new vintage bad boy!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:39:52 am
Ran to to the paint store today and picked up everything I needed to finish up.  I'm in the garage right now in between coats of primer.  Got the body work all done as planned.  I'll post some pics of my progress in the morning.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:40:56 pm
Well, after a long day of running around and busting my hump in the garage, I finally got the tank and fender into primer.  I also decided to repair a small ding in the left fork tube cover being that I'm going to be painting it.  The gas tank was in far worse condition than I originally had thought.  I worked it for about 4 hours and got it as good as I could, but I had top stop where I was as the body filler was getting a little thick.  There must have been a massive dent in the right side of tank, because I noticed there was already fiberglass filler there and it still wasn't anywhere close to the shape it should've been.  Other than that 1 spot, the tank came out pretty damn good.  If I stay on schedule, I should have the primer sanded tomorrow and be ready to shoot paint on Thursday!   Scottie

Here's something that most people don't get to see, body work BEFORE it goes into primer.  It always LOOKS so bad seeing all the different layers of body filler, primer and paint, (looks are very deceiving) but believe it or not, it's smooth as a baby's bottom.

Also found a not so pleasant surprise dumping out the gas tank

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:09:27 pm
Scottie J: So u were surprise to find filler..Your primer coat will reveal any relevant imperfections.  Those petcock screens look like they trapped a bit of rust n dirt...Are u gonna clean those up or just put in a new one....
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:23:03 pm
Scottie J: So u were surprise to find filler..Your primer coat will reveal any relevant imperfections.  Those petcock screens look like they trapped a bit of rust n dirt...Are u gonna clean those up or just put in a new one....

Noooooooooooooo, not at all surprised.  In fact, I don't think I've EVER done a restoration and NOT found filler!  LOL  But it wasn't as bad as the '66 Nova I painted in 2011 (both 1/4 panels all mud).  There's 2 small high spots in the tank and a couple small pin holes that I gotten taken care of.  I'll probably need a little glaze here and there but I should be good to go. I got 4 coats of primer on it so what little imperfections are there won't be for long.  I think you guys will be impressed when you see what I am capable of.   8)

As far as those fuel filters go, I'm replacing them.  I already ripped them off and cleaned out the valves real good.  Should have seen all the crap that came out of the tank.  I rinsed and swished it around 3 different times.  It was pretty bad.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 06:33:23 pm
Here's a couple pics of the gas tank and rear fender in primer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:23 pm
That was fast...Your auto pics look great .Are u now independent? It seems body repair and restoration is always in need and you have the skills to get it done correctly... 8)
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:19 pm
Yes, I'm independent now.  I've been talking to a potential business partner and hopefully be opening an actual shop here in the near future.  But I've been working out of my garage for the last couple years.  I absolutely love doing restorations.  Is so rewarding seeing the end product.   Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:26 pm
Alright people!  Its crunch time!  The anticipation is too much.  I've decided that I'm pulling an all-nighter tonight and kick some serious ass on this bike.  The primer came out great and additional body work is going to be minimal.  Wish me luck and good results!

Scottie

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:26 am
Back in my college days, I did an all-nighter once.
We were up in my apartment and we got to fooling around and before I knew.....

Wait.  :o

That's not what your thinking of doing is it?  ;) 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 03:29:45 pm
Back in my college days, I did an all-nighter once.
We were up in my apartment and we got to fooling around and before I knew.....

Wait.  :o

That's not what your thinking of doing is it?  ;) 

LMFAO!  I was in the garage between coats when I read that post on my phone and I laughed so hard!    ;D   I only went to 1 semester of college and didn't party much there, but boy do I have some stories from my early 20's.   LOL     ;)

So, it didn't end up being an ALL-nighter, but I was in the garage until 2am.  And man am I happy with the results.  Everything came out great, just awesome.  I ended up spraying 4 coats of metal flake and 4 coats clear on the tank and fender (industry standard is 2 coats of clear, but you have to gung ho when you're doing metal flakes and custom graphics).  I wanted to do 6 coats of clear but while spraying I decided that 4 coats should be a good starting place.   I can always add more later if I decide that I want more depth.

So here's a little taste of what I did last night and of what's to come.
Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:23 pm
Scottie, it's not shiny enough.  ;D  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.