Author Topic: new article on the c5  (Read 3540 times)

motorat

• Grease Monkey
on: March 07, 2013, 08:10:20 pm
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/03/md-double-take-2012-royal-enfield-classic-c5/

i thought it was a good read...
nice positive article on the RE.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:26:51 pm
"  In the long run it’s cheaper than Prozac. "

+1

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:36:31 pm
Good read, but I had to tell those guys in a few words what I thought in the comment section. Not so much the article, but the other comments. Some people just don't get it, which is understandable since they weren't raised on these
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:53:15 pm
Bare, you make me laugh.  +1 
"And any one with a 250 or other scooter who thinks they can outrun me in my playground, bring it on!"

These bikes are not for everyone, personally I think they are fun to ride. ;) ;)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:07:27 pm
The article was a good one, which put some emphasis on the intangible benefits of the bike, in light of its history and retro nature.

It's apparent from the reader comments that there are some people who "get it" and some who never will.

Thank goodness for variety.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:34:14 pm
Yes.  I agree that for the price it's easy to find many other options that "outperform" it by the numbers.  What we like about it isn't in the numbers.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:07 am

The first article made a promising start, then lost it somehow in inconsistencies. The second, disappointingly more old wine in a not so new bag. What would barenekd say to this, I thought, and lo and behold: there it came, highly needed.

A toast to the Canyon Carver, his rims are shod with roadrunners that shame the wiley's. ;D

Man, you can ride these bikes like hell, in the streets and in the woods. But is it realistically possible for a motor journalist to admit this, more so write so? Well yes, one can cruise on it too, if you're in the mood for that or per se want to. RE has it both ways, we can have it both ways. How cool is that? 8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:43:45 am
"Vibration? It’s a single. Freeway cruising is pleasant. This is no speedster: an indicated 60-65 is its comfort zone, an estimated  4000-ish rpm. You could thrash it to go faster, but why? The RSPCM (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Motorcycles) would object and yank your license."

Those comments seem to me true to the bike, being both realistic and generous, and well in line with much of the commentary on this site on the tender subject of freeway riding. Fun article. Thank you for sharing!
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:32:35 pm
Ah, sweet sound of Saruman.

The digest of both articles, the second more so than the first, is that the bullet is to be ridden at a sedate pace, humming mythic mantra's while in a purple haze.
Of course it can, I do at times if I feel like, so could you.
But that ain't the Bullet, no sir.

It is conceived and built to operate on roads that don't survive a winter, to go against the harshest nature can throw at it, to climb the highest mountains in the world, loaded to capacity, with no complaints. To throttle on while you gasp for breath.

Made Like A Gun, remember?
Rides Like A Bullet, remember?
 8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 12:06:43 am
I haven't averaged 70 mpg by flogging the hell outta mine. You can go pretty fast through the twisties without resorting to horsepower! I spend most a ride in 5th gear. Plenty of torque!
That's why Jack and I say, it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 12:13:04 am
Yes.  I agree that for the price it's easy to find many other options that "outperform" it by the numbers.  What we like about it isn't in the numbers.

Scott

+1

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 02:48:34 am
It is conceived and built to operate on roads that don't survive a winter, to go against the harshest nature can throw at it, to climb the highest mountains in the world, loaded to capacity, with no complaints. To throttle on while you gasp for breath.

Great comment!  In the US we look at these bikes as a cute, low power, nostalgia rides that gets lots of looks when going down the road or stopping for coffee.  However, the reality is this is the latest generation of a bike that for the last 50 years has been going all over the streets, dirt roads, mountain passes, rugged terrain and river crossings of India loaded with as much as they could carry "because they can".

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 09:20:57 pm
cool review, and i also have had other, "better, faster" bikes. but they did not have soul!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 02:05:10 am
Here's a link to another brief review, sorry if it's been posted previously.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/1212_crup_2012_royal_enfield_bullet_c5_chrome/

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 04:18:39 am
Best. Line. Ever...

"Sure it’s slower than the speed of smell, but it’s a hoot to ride, and the more I get to know it, the better I like it."
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)