Author Topic: How is your carb jetted for K&N and megaphone?  (Read 6738 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 01:35:09 am
i appreciate all the help.
 i am 880 ft elevation. and now that i look at the header i do see a small amount of carbon on the pipe around the port.
 i was planning to wrap the pipe with fiberglass, add a heat fin, and replace the El cheap o muffler that is pitted with a new El cheap o muffler that will look good for a year or two. i think that how old the one on there is. so adding a heat fin will require pulling the pipe away anyway i may as well put it back right. so I'm all ears.

I am at the same elevation as you, and have the same year Bullet as you, and the jetting I previously recommended will work for you.

Regarding the exhaust leak, you can put some clear silicone sealer on the outside of the header pipe when you push it into the head to re-install the header after you have taken it off. Let it cure overnight before using the bike. It will last probably a whole riding season, and you can do it again over the winter, or if it blows out and needs re-doing.
If there is a loose enough fit, you can cut a piece of beer can with some snips that is the right size to wrap around the header just once, with close-butted ends, and that will take up the space around the header and seal it up. I have done this with very good success, and it never blows out, and can be re-used when you take out the exhaust system in the future.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 02:04:12 am
 excellent. i have some more tinkering projects on my list.
 keeps me out of the pool halls.

Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 01:35:32 am
well, if any of you gearheads are still out there, i didn't jump ship and swim back to japan.  i wanted to go ahead and those jets before i take it apart. i just got the parts from our friends here in the states but they sent the wrong main jet.
 but i did take care of that exhaust leak and wrapped the pipe with fiberglass.
 i didn't put the heat fin on because i thought i wouldn't be able to slide it down the pipe past the wrap to check for leaks.
 does any one think the wrap could cause the head to run hot? i mean the heat has to go somewhere. if the wrap keeps it from radiating from the pipe then the pipe itself will retain more and its inside the exhaust port.
 Have a nice day.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 02:54:50 am
well, if any of you gearheads are still out there, i didn't jump ship and swim back to japan.  i wanted to go ahead and those jets before i take it apart. i just got the parts from our friends here in the states but they sent the wrong main jet.
 but i did take care of that exhaust leak and wrapped the pipe with fiberglass.
 i didn't put the heat fin on because i thought i wouldn't be able to slide it down the pipe past the wrap to check for leaks.
 does any one think the wrap could cause the head to run hot? i mean the heat has to go somewhere. if the wrap keeps it from radiating from the pipe then the pipe itself will retain more and its inside the exhaust port.
I haven't wrapped any pipes myself, but it's good to keep the heat in the exhaust pipe. It keeps the exhaust stream well heated and expanded, and that keeps the exhaust speeds higher for better extraction effects during scavenging. Don't worry about it heating up the head. The head gets the full exhaust temperature as the exhaust gases go out the exhaust port anyway. The finned thing doesn't do anything except possibly reduce the bluing of the pipe a little, maybe. It's just an appearance doo-dad that some people like, and it doesn't do any harm.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 12:40:05 am
OK. i got all the right jets. took it apart yesterday and put it back. i think i did pretty good. it did have the stock ones in there. the only problem i had was the new enrichment plunger would not go down into its place. just wouldn't go. i didn't want to force it. i tried several times. so i used the old one.
 when i got it to run and idle for a few minutes i had to set the pilot air screw at one half turn out to make it rev up without stumbling.
 i did not get to take it out for a ride. i was planning to replace the throttle cable but the new one is too short. i got it awhile back from one of those places in India and the add said it was suitable for all four speed bullets. the old cable  only has a few strands left.  i just pulled on the free end to rev it up.
 but i notice when i reach to adjust the idle stop screw i feel puffs of air from the oil catch tank under the battery. is that normal?
 thanks, ace, for the advise on the exhaust. but i think i blew out my nice little silicone job at the port. as i was revving the engine i happened to look at the pipe and it was blowing away from the head. startled me at first, thought i had created a monster. then after i thought it out i think in the future if i run the bike without the tank on i should go ahead and bolt that stabilizer from the head to the frame back up.

Have a nice day.