Author Topic: TIK TIK TIK sound while idling  (Read 4994 times)

tukarthik

• Neophyte
on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:17 pm
I recently bought a classic 350. I just completed my first service. Since then, i am hearing a TIK TIK TIK sound when idling in neutral gear. I hear this sound only when i start a cold engine (engine rested for few hours). This sound doesnt seem to come while riding or when starting the engine when it is hot. The sound is pretty loud. Anyone has any comment on this??

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:06:46 pm
It could be a number of different things..

Considering that it only seems to happen when cold, the indicators would point to piston noise(slap), because the piston grows larger when hot, and would only make the noise when cold.
So, you might have a worn bore.
Just a guess.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:28 pm
I don't know nearly as much as Ace, but wanted to suggest something.  Can you tell what part of the engine the TIK is coming from?

As part of your first service, did you adjust the tappets?  If the valves are a bit loose I suppose they could be a bit louder when cold but quiet down once they heat up a bit.  Just a thought I had, but maybe worth considering.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:44 pm
tukarthik

If your Classic 350 is a newly made one (after 2009) it has the new UCE engine.

These engines have an automatic decompression device built into the exhaust camshaft.
This is activated by a light spring pressure when the engine is not running and deactivated  by centrifugal force as the camshaft is rotating after the engine starts.

Normally, the device is made to retract after the engine reaches a idle speed over about 750 rpm but with cold oil, they will sometimes get stuck in place by the thick oil and stay in the "active" mode and make a TIC, TIC, TIC, sound.

Usually, slightly 'revving' the engine will cause the device to retract and the noise will go away.  If it doesn't, as you've found, after the oil heats up the centrifugal force will retract it to its "running" position.

By the way, if your motorcycle is a UCE model you should post your questions in the area of the forum titled "Bullet with the UCE engine".

It's confusing but this area of the forum is intended for the old Iron Barrel powered motorcycles.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:16:38 pm
tukarthik

If your Classic 350 is a newly made one (after 2009) it has the new UCE engine.

These engines have an automatic decompression device built into the exhaust camshaft.
This is activated by a light spring pressure when the engine is not running and deactivated  by centrifugal force as the camshaft is rotating after the engine starts.

Normally, the device is made to retract after the engine reaches a idle speed over about 750 rpm but with cold oil, they will sometimes get stuck in place by the thick oil and stay in the "active" mode and make a TIC, TIC, TIC, sound.

Usually, slightly 'revving' the engine will cause the device to retract and the noise will go away.  If it doesn't, as you've found, after the oil heats up the centrifugal force will retract it to its "running" position.

By the way, if your motorcycle is a UCE model you should post your questions in the area of the forum titled "Bullet with the UCE engine".

It's confusing but this area of the forum is intended for the old Iron Barrel powered motorcycles.

Yes, I keep forgetting that they have been calling every new model "Classic"  for a few years now, so nobody knows what model is what anymore.
Sheesh!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:22:59 am
If it's an older Iron Barrel 350, loose valves should tick louder when it gets hot.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH