Author Topic: Coming Back Soon  (Read 2183 times)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
on: March 10, 2013, 07:21:13 pm
Hi everyone,

I am coming back from deployment soon and I am planning the re-enjoyment of my G5! 

I disconnected the battery and put sta-bil in the tank. I also changed the oil a few hundred miles before it was parked. I did not fog the cylinder before I put it in storage. It will have been sitting for 7 months when I go to start it.

I want to change the spark plug to the one you all recommend NPR6 or something, right? When it is removed should I squirt a little oil in there before I start it the first time to discourage start-up damage? What other considerations should I take into account?

Thanks guys,

Sgt Johnson
USMC/0351

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:50:51 pm
A little squirt of oil in the cylinder can't hurt while you're installing that BPR6ES plug. Kick it over several times with the plug out to get the oil started through the oil pump, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:00 pm
A little squirt of oil in the cylinder can't hurt while you're installing that BPR6ES plug. Kick it over several times with the plug out to get the oil started through the oil pump, too.
Bare

Big +1 to this.

Might be a good idea to lube the cables especially the ends and maybe torque check all the fasteners too.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:53 pm
.........A little squirt of oil in the cylinder can't hurt while you're installing that BPR6ES plug. .....

+1  I'd use kerosene or WD40, but, oil will do.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:03:09 am
+1  I'd use kerosene or WD40, but, oil will do.

+1 to Gremlin!   I can tell you're a Midwesterner.  Sound like something I would have said back in my days living on a Wisconsin dairy farm.  I say this because I too know the cleansing and lubricating goodness of kerosene.  LOL  Too bad it stinks so bad.   :)

In all seriousness, do what EVERYONE has said.  Oil in the cylinder, lube the cables with SOME kind of lubricant and re-torque all the bolts and fasteners.  I will also add that it'd be a good idea to replace your oils as well as oil tends to breakdown from sitting.  7 months isn't all too long though.  A little freshening up and you should be good to go!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:22:01 am
Thanks everyone! Sounds like it will only take me a few hours to get the wind back in my hair!

Michael Marsceill

• Scooter
  • 2009 AVL Deluxe
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:57 pm
WELCOME BACK ! ! !

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:52:47 am
Thanks everyone! Sounds like it will only take me a few hours to get the wind back in my hair!
Everybody knows that Marines dont have any hair ! Welcome back to the WORLD and congratulations on your promotion Devil Dog !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 07:21:35 am
You are right...I'm rockin' the baldy right now  8)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:33:23 am

I am coming back from deployment 'soon' and I am planning the re-enjoyment of my G5! 

I led you all astray it seems with my initial post! I am not back yet...but I will be in a month or so if the Middle East doesn't go crazy (er than usual...)

Thanks for the support.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:07:06 am
It will be very good to have you back home.
I know that you'll enjoy being back on your G5.

Home of the Fireball 535 !