Author Topic: Extreme Medical Bills  (Read 5077 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:48 pm
Edited:
Ace: I do not disagree with you in theory. BUT It's a nightmare in practice. I have lived and worked in that nightmare. I'll choose this red tape laden system (the US healthcare system) over that nightmare any day. I paid a lot of taxes this year. I know it hurts and needs to get better quickly. But, that system (freemarket healthcare) is not the answer. I have been a consumer and a provider in that system.  I know of stories of people who were kept on life support AFTER they had died to rake up an ICU bill, women who had their bellies cut and stitched and billed for a C-Section when it was absolutely unwarranted, and on and on....Its more corrupt than you can imagine.

Thats all I have , my humble opinion. YMMV.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:37:49 pm by 1 Thump »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 06:19:31 pm
+1
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 10:16:49 pm
Are the costs if medical care in the USA high due to the fees incurred by the private medical people for malpractice insurance? Or is it just greed? Just a thought.
I, as a Canadian, value Stomping Tom Connors , Canadian beer and poutine far more than Wayne Gretzky.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 11:45:46 pm
IN the 1940's my Grandfather had an accident at home, he needed treatment at the hospital (travelling there took a horse and sleigh and a model T). A month later my Grandmother had my uncle at the same hospital. My uncle was 6 years old and the family was still paying the hospital bill (they supplied firewood to the hospital).

Fast forward to 1974. My parents took my brother and me to see Stompin' Tom film a television special. The next day my father had his colon removed because of colon cancer. He spent 40 days in the hospital much of it in solitary because of an infection. The total cost to us, nothing. Two years later we were driving across Canada and the US.

I value health care immensely. As an Edmontonian who spent his youth watching Wayne Gretzky, I value health care more than him. Socialized medicine is a defining feature of Canada, we believe that we all need to look after each other and that a society is judged by how we treat our poorest and most disadvantaged. I truly miss Stompin' Tom but he appreciated our health care system too. (To my American friends, Stompin' Tom was a Canadian singer/songwriter who passed away recently. He wrote songs about Canada and being Canadian, think of him as a Canadian Woody Guthrie).

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 05:42:06 pm
Are the costs if medical care in the USA high due to the fees incurred by the private medical people for malpractice insurance? Or is it just greed? Just a thought.
I, as a Canadian, value Stomping Tom Connors , Canadian beer and poutine far more than Wayne Gretzky.

Yes, yes and yes.

In the 1960's health care and insurance was affordable for the average single pay check blue collar family.

Then along came the mandates to not turn away anyone for any symptom (real or imagined) The E.R.s were and still are compelled by force of law to treat every one and anyone for anything and everything even if that malady would be better addressed by a regular office visit during regular hours. Costs have to be recovered and the climb has not stopped yet. 

You mentioned malpractice.  That also is component of rising costs.
Unfortunately it's the rest of us who are paying the price indirectly for the insurance and the lawsuit settlements. The physician who amputates the wrong leg or the aid who administers the wrong medicine bear no responsibility and suffer no consequence.

Health care in America has become a quasi extension of the social services systems here and the costs of supporting those administrative infrastructures have to be subsidized as well.

All of those dollars have to come from somewhere.

A few of the many things Canadian/Canadien  :) that endear Canada to me; the people, the beer, poutine, Guy Lafleur and Red Green.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 10:54:23 pm
Thank God you didn't say Justin Beiber
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 11:30:21 am

Who???
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 02:32:28 pm
redmonton, One of my favorite Canadian Folk singers is the Late Stan Rogers.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 01:24:39 pm
........... Red Green............

Hero.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:15 pm

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 11:32:48 pm
Some of us still haven't forgiven Air Canada (Stan Rogers died in a fire on an Air Canada flight). Many times I have driven across the prairies listening to Northwest Passage.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 08:02:32 am
(I'm back)

It is the chicken and the egg though.

did govt regs cause it or did lobbyists push govt regs for corporate interests...

I am not naive enough to 'know' the answer... (yes I meant it that way)

but I think we are all smart enough to know that NOTHING in Gov't happens without a lobbyist behind it.

my 2 cents.
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 01:37:37 am

Behind every politician is a lobbyist. Behind the lobbyist is an investment holdings group. Investment holding groups manage the personal investments of politicians.

Chicken or the egg is right.
But it's our goose that is about to be cooked.
No matter where you go, there, you are.