Author Topic: Sticky Front Brake?  (Read 2011 times)

young gun

• Bulleteer
on: March 05, 2013, 02:30:05 pm
I took my bike to be roadworthied today and I was told the front brake is sticking which causes the brake light to be on constantly. It seems like the culprit is actually the front brake mechanism which seems to be a bit sticky. Any suggestions?

Im planning to just spray some WD20 on the bolts that hold the mechanism in place and hopefully that will loosening the guy up.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:12 pm
It might help.

Typically you need to work on the adjustment, and sometimes you have to take it off and grease the brake actuating cam and make sure the springs are still good. Then be sure that the brake arms are in a true parallelogram and that the brake plate is well-centered with the hub.

The brake should not drag when you spin the wheel by hand(obviously when it is up on a stand). It should be just a hair from dragging, so that the brake can be applied with a very short pull on the lever.
About 1/8" free play at the lever is about right.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:51:22 pm
Thanks,

Just a quick tightening of the bolts on the parallelogram and I sprayed some Q20 on all the moving parts and it sorted out the issue. The bike hasnt been ridden for awhile so I think it just needed a bit of TLC. I think that both brakes can use some tinkering but i'll worry about that on the weekend :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:45:42 pm
Take the brake apart and add a touch of  grease to the cams and pivot pins. Grease the pins that actuate the cams. Grease lightly, you don't want it to get on the linings. Lube the cable.
When the cams are actuated, they can get caught up in the wedging action with the shoes. A little lube does wonders.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:20:11 pm
The Q20 did the job BUT, I've noticed there's no adjuster on the front brake lever like there is on the clutch lever? Is this normal ? I've been reading the Pete Snidal manual and he mentioned it which is why I noticed the fact that it's not there in the 1 place.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26:43 pm
The Q20 did the job BUT, I've noticed there's no adjuster on the front brake lever like there is on the clutch lever? Is this normal ? I've been reading the Pete Snidal manual and he mentioned it which is why I noticed the fact that it's not there in the 1 place.

Adjust the cable free-play at the brake arm on the wheel.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 06:45:18 am
Adjust the cable free-play at the brake arm on the wheel.

Cool so thats normal then :)