Author Topic: Reminder: Be safe, people.  (Read 4941 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:59 pm
Yeah, I think the trick with getting the knee down is more getting that ass OFF the seat. If the butt comes off the seat, your body weight will be out over the left, and you will put more weight on the left bar causing the counter steering (intentionally or unintentionally).  Putting your knee out without getting off the seat will only help in windy days ( :D referencing the windy riding thread here).

The biggest point to all of this is what Bare mentioned... the more you are leaned over, the less the bike needs to be, the more tire is on the road.  Not a big deal if you are just cruising but imperative at speed.

Good thread.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 06:59:54 pm
Just moving the knee out does shift the CG slightly to the side. Every little bit can help. But obviously hanging your butt off does a lot more!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 07:36:14 pm
The guy on the R1 seriously runs over his foot.  Its the reason he loses his shoe.  If you continue to watch the video they show a different angle with a slow motion close up.  Watch 1:15 -1:25.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:39 pm
The guy got his foot caught after the bike had lost its traction and was sliding out. Looks like the shoe was probably taken off by the swing arm. I did a bit of stop action on that and the bike was definitely going down before his foot was off the peg.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 03:30:27 pm
Maybe the MSF curriculum is taught with varying emphasis at different places. When I took the course, countersteering was the first technique they taught us after starting and braking. I practice it every morning in the "S" turn that greets me at my workplace.

As far as the second video goes, I agree that he seems to have had a poor line going into the curve (too much to the inside at the start), and that he didn't have the conviction to lean and/or countersteer the bike enough to match the speed. I'll add, though, that he also braked in the middle of the turn, which is a sure way to lose traction at a speed like that.

On day 2 of the MSF course, one of the instructors braked while turning a bike at low speed, which caused it to drop and fling him ass over head across the bars, accidentally demonstrating the point made in the classroom that braking while turning is dangerous.