Author Topic: Turn signal indicator replacement.  (Read 7822 times)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 01:20:16 pm
Whoa, so I inadvertently bought the real deal?! Lol, I was looking at the new UCE versions but I couldn't find any that fitted my budget, when I saw this lady going for a good price I went for it. Tbh I find the Der versions of this bike quite a bit more atteactive that the newer ones! The older ones seem a little more honest. Are there any concessions to this motor? I don't intend on riding her hard but I had to use the freeway to get her home and I was hitting about 100 - 110 (65 - 70mph). I had no choice, our freeways are pretty fast in SA. You drive slow and you die.

Barenekd is this what I am looking for? http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/BA9S-W4-/ ?

And chuck, my bike will then be what Hitchcock's refers to as the Electric Start? Or the Bullet (IND MKT). They have:

Bullet (export)
Bullet (ind mkt)
Bullet Redditch
Electric Start
Sixty 5
Electra X
Thunderbird
Electra efi
Classic efi
B5 efi
"Bullet(export)". That's right, the real deal.
So much so that they are permitted in vintage class racing. But before you get too excited, the Bullet race bikes are heavily modded with high quality upgrades to the main bearings, crank, piston, valve train, oiling system, cam timing and other stuff carefully assembled by experienced engine tuners (not me ;D).
What most new owners in your position do is start by simply freeing up the intake and exhaust by swapping them for freer flowing items and then tuning the carburetor to suit. This will perk up the performance noticeably and you can leave it at that. Another cost effective upgrade would come when it's time to change tires. The stock Avon "speedmasters" are a throwback design that are really only good for show in my opinion. Avon also makes the "Roadrider (AM26) and the Roadrunner(AM20) in vintage (19") sizes. A vast improvement in handling over stock. The Dunlop K70's are also highly regarded by those in the know although I have no personal experience with them.
Remember though, unless you make the engine upgrades I mentioned earlier, it can't handle sustained high speed (over 65mph) for long. That's not a fault, it just wasn't designed for that. For one thing, it can't handle the heat generated by those speeds so a seizure becomes likely. Stick to back roads. Both you and the bike will live longer.
Those things on the carb and the header pipe are just some emissions junk that can be removed along with any of its plumbing as long as you plug up the holes. Everyone takes them off.
As Tooseevee said, get the manuals (Snidal's is really good) and read up. This will help get you into the Bullet frame of mind. And god help you from there.
Chuck.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:59:48 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 02:00:04 pm
You have a different carb than I have so I can't tell you where that hose goes plus you don't describe it well enough. Does it point down? Is it clear or black?

tooseevee its just a normal clear pipe, the same one they use on the rest of the bike. I'll take a pic in a bit and post it up.

Remember though, unless you make the engine upgrades I mentioned earlier, it can't handle sustained high speed (over 65mph) for long. That's not a fault, it just wasn't designed for that. For one thing, it can't handle the heat generated by those speeds so a seizure becomes likely. Stick to back roads. Both you and the bike will live longer.

How long is long? Unfortunately I really didnt want to make my second ride on the bike on the freeway but I had no choice. Strangely after about 30 minutes or so the engine performance noticeably improved and then I got to an offramp where I could continue my trip on the back road. I road it today and it seemed fine so I dont thnk any damage was incurred.

On my list of things to do:

1.) Sort the pipe out. I wasnt sure if there was a catalytic converter in there? I thought that only came with the AVL and UCE motors? Any advice for how to remove it? I'm sure there will be a few threads on the board that will help me? Or would it just be easier to replace the silencer?

2.) Sort out the air filter. Either replace the standard witha K&N or chuck that out and replace it all with a cone type.

3.) Replace the standard carb with an Amal.

4.) Get some leather panniers

5.) Replace the tyres once they have worn with something a little stickier.

Does the PAV system hinder performance at all? From what i have read its a 50/50 thing? some say yes, other say no.

And thats it really. Chuck you were right about the indicator, push it in and it cancels. I dont know if that is standard on bikes now, but this is the 1st one I have ridden in nearly 20 years :)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:06:37 pm by young gun »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 03:01:14 pm
Young gun,
Short of tearing your engine apart there's no way too be 100 percent sure of anything. But don't panic, I was merely pointing out that no stock engine is meant to be ridden flat out for any length of time. I've been guilty of exactly the same thing on numerous occasions and gotten away with it. Make a habit of it though and you are undoubtedly decreasing the life span of your engine.
About the exhaust. Inside the header pipe is a welded in place smaller diameter tube that can be cut out and some folks here have even cut the muffler in half, removed the labyrinth within and put the halves back together with about a foot of center section removed. This will free up the exhaust and improve the appearance. Or you could just replace with ready made new items. Up to you.
As for the air filter, There is a mod for the stock airbox which switches the stock (very restrictive) air filter for a K&N if you want to keep the stock appearance. Do a search on this sight. I didn't do it but it looks pretty simple. Or, and I couldn't recommend this more highly, Ace Performance makes the "Air Canister" which has the virtues of a traditional appearance and a cheap and replaceable paper air filter that flows very well. This is what I use. In any case, you should avoid the pod filters because they remove the support to the carb on that side which among other bad things, subjects the carb to excessive vibration, negatively affecting the units performance and longevity. I tried it that way for a while because it looked sorta cool but it also kinda sucked.
There's nothing wrong with the stock "Mikarb" as long as it's set up right. If you do all of these other mods you will need a selection of richer jets to get it tuned correctly. If I were on a budget, I wouldn't waste money there.
Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 03:10:57 pm
In any case, you should avoid the pod filters because they remove the support to the carb on that side which among other bad things, subjects the carb to excessive vibration, negatively affecting the units performance and longevity.

Thanks for the advice! I checked out the Air Fireball mod awhile back, very nice!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 04:26:20 pm
Young gun,
In any case, you should avoid the pod filters because they remove the support to the carb on that side which among other bad things, subjects the carb to excessive vibration, negatively affecting the units performance and longevity. I tried it that way for a while because it looked sorta cool but it also kinda sucked.

Chuck.

But there are thousands of bikes out there which have their carburetors supported only at the head. These little carbs weigh hardly anything.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 07:12:28 pm
           But there are thousands of bikes out there which have their carburetors supported only at the head. These little carbs weigh hardly anything.
This is also true.

2017 Triumph T120

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 08:23:27 pm
Does Ace Perfotmance have a website? Can't seem to find anything but references in blogs and forums?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead

2017 Triumph T120

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 08:01:03 pm
Barenekd is this what I am looking for? http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/BA9S-W4-/ ?
And chuck, my bike will then be what Hitchcock's refers to as the Electric Start? Or the Bullet (IND MKT).

Sorry so late. That is the right bulb. Don't worry about the vintage part. No one will know what you  have in there unless they are very familiar with the bike.
Yours is the ES model.
As for speed, I wouldn't be very inclined to approve 65-70 mph cruising speeds with the iron barrel bikes. About 55 is closer to reality. There are some major differences between the Iron Barrels and UCE. All of them equate to living at higher speeds. HTe UCEs have sn oil pump with about a 4 or 5 time increase in flow. They have roller bearings in the road as opposed a floating bushing in the iron barrel (Which really should've gotten the increased capacity oil pump. The iron barrel engine is the basic 1950's engine. Little improvement in anything since then! So, YAY! You got a genuine classic motorcycle and BOO, don't try to run with the new guys!
The real difference is that you get to remember what the good old days were really like. The guys who get the new UCEs get to think about all those things they don't have to do now! But since most of the hoi polloi doesn't know the difference, they get the same, or nearly, the same reverence!
My first RE was very close to being a Sixty-5 that a good buddy of mine had. He offered it to me for $1000 in '97. It had about 150 miles on it, but I either had to ship it from Oklahoma or go back there and ride an unbroken in RE iron barrel 1500 miles back to CA from there. having just gotten rid of a '62 Matchless/Norton because I got tired of remembering what the good old days were really like,  I, very reluctantly, turned it down. He gave it to his nephew and it is apparently sitting out here in storage waiting for him to come back for Afghanistan, or was, he should be back by now, I guess!
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com