Author Topic: Chocolate milk in air filter box  (Read 1833 times)

HoustonEnfield

• Scooter
on: February 26, 2013, 12:53:07 am
Had a great weekend of riding. Never pass up the chance to hit the road on my 09 bullet military.

At the mid-point of our ride yesterday, my riding buddy noticed a brownish fluid dripping out of my air filter box. All the mechanically experienced folks I ride with we're dumb founded. It seemed to be coming from the small hole above the air filter. What could the problem be?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:37:43 am
Sounds like the catch can overflowth. This is the can behind the battery with 3 hoses coming out the botto, and one air line to the filter(if you have an Electra AVL). The can catches engine gases and associated mayo like gunk as part of the engine breather.  Lots of posts on this topic in the forum. You need to drain the can and make sure your air filter and carb didn't inhale it. If so, clean carb and replace air filter.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:27:45 pm
Agree with the catch can.  Did you happen to just do an oil change or just add more oil?  If you are a hair over what the Bullet can hold, it'll regulate itself from that catch can in that way you described.

I don't have an air filter box on my AVL Electra. Just the catch can mounted behind the battery cover.
The three hoses Dan mentioned come from the engine, into the can. One hose exits the can and dumps the "mayo" out... hopefully not in the path of your rear tire.

Word of caution, if you take this apart to clean, make sure none of your hoses are crimped or pinched when you put things back together. I pinched my exit hose under my seat and spent the next 2 weeks of the engine running terrible and me fiddling with my carb before I noticed the hose.

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM