Author Topic: Throttle cable routing  (Read 1685 times)

mja

• Scooter
on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:26 am
It's good to be back. Hope you all had a fine winter!

I have a question about throttle cable routing on my c5.  In my case, the cables are routed under the fuel tank and around the *left* side of the steering stem. 

The cables seem really tight, especially when the handlebars are fully turned to the right.  I can hear them rubbing against the metal of the steering stem and for whatever reason this does not inspire my confidence. 

Is this the "normal" routing for this cable, and has anyone altered the routing with any success?   I was considering routing them to the right of the stem ...

Thanks!   -matt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:35 am
That is the normal routing as far as I know.  If you can turn the bars right and there's no binding then they're not too tight. 

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:58:35 am
No, you're throttle cables should be routed to the right side of the stem.  That's why you hear them rubbing.  You generally always want to route your cables down the same side of the stem and frame from which they are attached.  This reduces excessive wear from the cables having to stretch around the front of the stem.  And while you're there playing with them, make sure you give all your cables and pivot points on the levers a good oiling with something like Liquid Wrench or WD-40.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:08:27 am
Guess I need to re-route mine then :(

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:24:25 am
At least, that's what I was taught.  Perhaps I was taught wrong?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:42:23 am
I always go to the opposite side: throttle right, cable left.  It makes for a bigger bend radius in the housing from bar to headstock.  Run this way a little extra length can cure binding in a right turn.  Run the other way, there's no way to make the bend radius better when you turn left.  It's tighter to start and then you wrap it around the headstock. 

Also more room to make the bend back to the TB when you get to the rear.  That wouldn't be the case on all bikes.  On this one the cables enter from behind.

Then again, YMMV :)  Depending on the bike, the particular route, etc.  One may be clearly better than the other on certain bikes.

Scott

mja

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:39:50 am
Perfect, thanks for the replies!  I'll try to get it to work both ways and see which works best on my bike.  Appreciated!

-m

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:57 pm
I always go to the opposite side: throttle right, cable left.  It makes for a bigger bend radius in the housing from bar to headstock.  Run this way a little extra length can cure binding in a right turn.  Run the other way, there's no way to make the bend radius better when you turn left.  It's tighter to start and then you wrap it around the headstock. 

That's how my new bikes have always been delivered and what I do when I change or re-route cables.