Author Topic: Overall reliability of the new C5s  (Read 12021 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 06:00:19 am
We put a C5 out back of the shop once when it was 30 degrees below zero. We let it cold soak and to our shock the darn thing started. The wonder of fuel injection I guess.

If problems are going to occur they are mostly likely in the beginning and well within the warranty period. It is really rare to have any kind of fuel injection or engine problem.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 07:20:08 pm

If problems are going to occur they are mostly likely in the beginning and well within the warranty period. It is really rare to have any kind of fuel injection or engine problem.

mine has 5200 miles and it is on it's 3 injector.
i bought it with 900 miles and was told that the injector was replaced before i got it, and in dec of last year it was running bad and after trying several suggestions from this forum i finally brought it to fresno to have it checked out. the service manager looked at it, didn't test ride it, said all my problems were because i put a d&d exhaust on it. so i put the exhaust it was delivered with back on and this time they did a test ride and replaced the injector.
it has been fine since but i wonder if i am going to have another problem in the future.

luckily it was still under warranty.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:59 pm
Probably not, but nothing in life is guaranteed, except death and taxes.
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:38 pm

In other words, do put enough miles into the two years.  ;D

Warranty issues in my case were: solenoid, sprag clutch, rear wheel bearing (2), rear sprocket, low fuel sensor (2), RHS mirror and a few cosmetics. All within 7200 miles.

Others: chain replaced at 7000 miles, 2 of the small bulbs, 1 bolt heat shield.
After a run through the forest the coupler of the small light in the casquette used to disconnect, not any more.
Currently at 11000 miles, two months from expiration warranty.
Original twin spark still going strong, as does the battery. No complaints there.

Whether in front of the convenience store or at a park people step up to make a talk. Oh, can you rely on that! Do like it. Often yields good stories and inside tips of whatever subject. You meet interesting people standing by an Enfield.  8)

It took me well over a year to adjust. From a matter of fact approach I've moved to a more 'empathical' relationship, if that makes sense to anyone. It's different, but feels proper.

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 06:14:02 pm
Things that broke under warranty on my G5 - sprag clutch (15,000 miles). Low fuel light, replaced the float, still didn't work. The original float was OK. Never fixed the light part. The left had switch box. the original switch was assembled wrong at the factory. I redid it, but the headlight was still very dim. I tried different lights to no avail, so got a new switch box. Still didn't fix the problem. I ended up running a hotwire from the battery to the headlight through relays and that cured my lighting problem.
Things replaced - all bulbs except turn signal and headlight with LEDs, chain at 7500 miles, totally shot. 17T sprocket with 18T.  Most of the stuff I replaced was by choice rather than need. The basic bike was pretty Bulletproof!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35:37 pm
It should be noted that Bare rode his bike HARD!  Lots of WOT and canyon carving with faster bikes that he kept up with.

Scott

patndhat

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:43 pm
 Thanks to all. I just spoke to my local LE dealer, and set up my purchase for this summer. Payments less than current budget for commuting by train...so I squish together a down payment, and then I'll end up even, including the tolls...and oh yeah...I'll have this beautiful little bike too!

BTW there's a gorgeous '52 Enfield in a shop window on Market St. in SF. Fully restored with (they claim) 3500 original miles on it. $7500 (cough cough) though the website says '55/$8000. I guess it got cheaper and younger at the same time. If only I could do the same!
http://shopmulholland.com/the-roadtrip/motors/royal-enfield
Can't say I wasn't tempted, but UCE and a starter are very compelling. Not to mention the warranty. See you on the road!

patndhat

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:01 pm
oops...that should have been "RE" not "LE". I'm buying a bike, not a rifle. Though those are nice too...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 11:10:35 pm
BTW there's a gorgeous '52 Enfield in a shop window on Market St. in SF. Fully restored with (they claim) 3500 original miles on it. $7500 (cough cough) though the website says '55/$8000. I guess it got cheaper and younger at the same time. If only I could do the same!
http://shopmulholland.com/the-roadtrip/motors/royal-enfield

That is a 1956 and later frame. Gotta watch those guys!
The '55s and earlier are more like a B5
Bare
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:48:30 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 11:32:20 pm
that bike has been on and off craigslist for about 18 months.
last i saw it was 6800.

congrats on the bike.
if you get north of the golden gate look me up.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:05 pm
Thanks to all. I just spoke to my local LE dealer, and set up my purchase for this summer.

Well, I hafta ask... what bike are you getting?  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 12:13:25 am
Couldn't one find an iron barrel (same bike basically) in fine shape for around $2000?   Tell everyone it's a '55, they won't know!  Heck, I probably wouldn't know!

Scott

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 06:21:24 am
patndhat -
I live in the East bay and these are good bay area bikes.
Im thinking the Triumph dealer was Munroe. I wouldnt deal with them no matter what bike I was Buying( I bought my G5 there)
They like to blame RE reliability when its their incompetence, poor service and high prices that this dealership suffers from. I dont have a vendetta against them, I actually want to trade up to a Triumph but ill be going elsewhere.
Anyway, i would recommend this bike to most, just way too small for me, though i love Enfields still, its time to face reality.
Buy what you want. Nothin like an Enfield.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 08:05:06 pm
monroe dropped RE and suteria west took it over.
i have not dropped by there yet but the conversation i had with them was a lot more positive than ones i had with monroe.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:31 pm
that's Scuderia West
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer