Author Topic: Overall reliability of the new C5s  (Read 12004 times)

patndhat

• Scooter
on: February 26, 2013, 11:13:52 pm
Hey gang. I'm currently planning for a C5 in the summer, but I've heard a lot of tales about their not being the most reliable daily driver.

Any truth to this, or was the obvious ruse of a Triumph dealer (former Enfield dealer) to swoop on a sale what it sounded like?

I'm handy with a wrench, so I don't mind tightening up and loctiting, doing the maintenance as needed, but am concerned about overally performance suffering due to factory defects that aren't supported.

Them's the stories I was being told.

'Cause I have my heart set on the C5.

patndhat

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:41:48 pm
I'm not mechanically inclined at all, don't understand how motorcycles work other than theoretically, and have never owned one before.

I bought a new (2010 EFI model, but dealer-new) C5 a bit over two months ago and have ridden it 1,500 miles (almost every day) without any serious problem, including a few 100-mile days. It has started up immediately every time without incident, in all kinds of weather. I rode it 40 miles this morning after leaving it overnight in a subfreezing outdoor garage, with hardly any warm-up time.

Here's my detailed 800-mile report:  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15867.0.html

I've now ridden it another 700 additional miles since then; the MPG has improved as I've learned how to ride it, and my facility with the transmission has improved too. I have nothing serious at all to complain about.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:22:05 am
There is very little wrong with the reliability. They are certainly no worse than a Triumph! Like any mechanical thing, I can't guarantee that nothing will go wrong, but that's why the warranty is there. The maintenance requirements are small. The bike is an excellent daily ride and a lot of fun to put 300+ miles out playing in the hills! It will handle pretty much handle anything you throw at and survive. It just won't do it terribly fast, but it is a capable freeway bike. Just learn to stay in the slower lanes.
You'll love it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

patndhat

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:26:27 am
That was very helpful. Anybody else care to chime in? I'm particularly keen on engine performance issues, as my experience is that the throttle gets you out of more scrapes than the brakes.

I don't want a fast bike, but I'd like to know if I have to punch it in an emergency it'll respond.

Gonna spend it's life puttin' around SF and Oakland.

BTW any Bullet owners in the Bay Area that would be willing to chat would be just grand.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:01 am
18,500 miles on a 2011 G5 with barely a whimper.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 12:42:36 am
It's a great bike for cruising at 65 in the right lane, with a bit of extra power to go beyond that when needed.

Regarding the throttle -- except on a fairly steep uphill or with a strong headwind, you can ride along at 65 without topping out the throttle (i.e., with a little reserve throttle to juice your way out of a problem). So far in 1,500 miles, about half on highway, I've never had a situation where I didn't have more throttle available when I needed it.

If you're looking to cruise routinely at 80, it's not the bike for you -- but that's not because of the throttle or even the speed. (I haven't tried, but I bet it'll work its way up to 80.) It's because of the vibration.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:47:32 am
They're adequately quick up to 50 or so. Above that not so great. I know what you saying about the throttle getting you out of trouble, I've been riding Superbikes for the last 20 years, and a nice 60-100 shot is nice. You just have to learn to not expect that with the Enfields. But, honestly, I never really missed it. You accept and conform to  the bike's capabilities and I'll guarantee you will enjoy riding this slow bike fast a lot more than riding the fast bikes slow. As for vibration, I never found the vibration to be that bothersome and I had mine indicating 91 mph one day. Saw 80+ a lot and my speedo seemed to be within a couple of MPH. I've owned a lot of other bikes that were worse, SR-500s, for instance. It will be a fantastic bike in the Bay Area. This bike didn't take long to rise to my #1 favorite of all that I've owned for the last 50 years.  But it was a tough decision as #2 is a Yamaha ThunderAce. Oddly enough, 2 bikes out of 3 that I totaled! The third one, I hated.
Now just waiting for my Cafe Racer!
Bare
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:53:01 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:22 am
it is fantastic around town and back roads.
if you venture the back roads around napa and calistoga you will really enjoy the bike. above 65 it is not that much fun.
for comuter traffic it is fantastic, the small size really fits between the lanes.
in heavy traffic i would rather ride the c5 over my vstrom, but when the lane open up and traffic speeds up the vstrom is better.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:59:25 am
One comment: remember it's a very lightweight bike (around 300 pounds). This means that in the city it handles almost like a scooter.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 02:10:42 am
One comment: remember it's a very lightweight bike (around 300 pounds). This means that in the city it handles almost like a scooter.
It is actually 412 lbs. plus accessories .

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:21:32 am
It is actually 412 lbs. plus accessories .

+ 1

@patndhat

I have a B5 (same engine as the C5) and it is running perfectly.  ;D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:52 am
I have a 2011 G5 Deluxe and after 9,200 miles I've never had a whimper out of it.

It always starts.  It always gets me anyplace I want to ride it.  It is easy to maintain and easy to customize with low cost factory and other accessories.

Riding in town it easily accelerates from a stop light as fast or faster than the cars around me.

I've taken 400 mile trips on it starting at 1200 feet elevation up to over 8200 feet and the fuel injection has adjusted for all of it with no problem.

I get around 70 mpg without babying it.

When I first bought it, I was concerned about the engineering and materials the Indians might have used on it but after almost 2 years of riding it (and replacing the chain at 3500 miles) I can say my fears were unfounded.

My RE draws attention wherever it goes.  It looks like and rides like a 1955 vintage motorcycle with a dependable, updated fuel injected engine and a disk brake on the front.
People are amazed that such a thing is still being made and even Harley riders give it a big thumbs up when they see it.
To say I'm pleased with my bike goes without saying. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 04:44:26 am
Plus One Jim !

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 05:58:36 am
My bike's had some foibles but that's what makes it special. It always starts and has never let me down in the year I've owned it/her/him.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 06:34:17 am
The Triumph dealer does not know the difference between the older Iron Barrel engine and the UCE mill. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.