Author Topic: Tear Down Advice & Opinions  (Read 1669 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 25, 2013, 03:54:38 am
Getting ready to start the body and paint on my 58 Trailblazer in the coming week.  ORIGINALLY I was just going to paint the tank and rear fender, keep it quick and easy.  But, I keep looking at the bike and I really want the frame and fork tube covers pearl black with a black micro flake.  I already plan on painting the cylinders/heads/engine case with metallic black engine enamel at the same time as the fender and tank.

My question is, approximately how long does it take to drop the motor out of the frame?   The triple trees and swing arm look like they can't take more than 30-45 minutes to pull apart?  The wiring is brand new and super simple.  I designed it to be easily removable, so I'm not worried about that.

Do you guys think it's worth the time to pull it completely apart and do a FULL restoration?  I'll already have all the paint supplies to do it.......    ???
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:27:26 pm
Just remember to take the allen head screw out under the handlebar clamp. The motor will come out quickly. Have a friend help you lift the frame off the motor. Will be easy with the front end and rear wheel off. As long as your not going to do any motor teardown it will go pretty quickly with the paint job and reassembly.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:02:26 pm
Scottie-  I see you have a number of threads devoted to this project.  Are you running a single consolidated build thread anywhere?  I'd love to look back on what you've done so far, and follow it further...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:17:11 am
mattsz -  Not really, but all the posts are in the campfire and vintage sections.  If that helps any.  Honestly, everything on this project has been spur of the moment and every last penny after gas food and bills has gone towards this bike.  Every paycheck has been a new part and along with it a new project.  Expensive and I'm poor as hell right now, but I'm going to have a bad ass custom bike when I'm done.   :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:17 am
Thanks, Scottie...  I can pick through.  You're easy to find!

Good luck with the bike!!!!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:55 pm
I've decided that I am going to strip the entire bike down to bare metal recover it in fresh custom paint.  I'm really excited for this project and the paint scheme.  As I've said in other posts, I want to do an old school 60's custom paint job, and I've finally decided on the colors and what I'm going to do.

I'm doing a bobber-chop on the rear fender and welding closed the seat mount holes from the original seat.  Then I'm going to spend quite a few hours working the gas tank and getting it absolutely perfect.  For the paint I'm going to do a burnt orange metallic base and then I'm doing a few coats of orange heavy metal flake with a matching orange pearl.  Then on top of that I'm doing a single black stripe with a few coats of black micro metal flake down the middle of the tank and fender.  I'm also going to go ahead and paint the frame, swing arm and fork tube covers with the black micro flake.  And of course the black pearl engine paint.  I think it'll look nice when it's done.

Those flakes are really close to actual size