Author Topic: K&N air filter modification  (Read 1672 times)

REVirginia

• 2009 AVL Deluxe
  • Scooter
on: February 23, 2013, 10:09:23 pm
I have 2009 AVL, have read the posts about the KN air filter mod ad nauseum, and have been wrestling often with the idea of either doing the mod or scrapping the retro air box altogether and getting a pancake or cone for the carb. Ideally I want to free up the "toolbox" and keep the retro look of the bike as well. I decided on doing the mod and got the filter. im wondering why the enfield has, and forgive me if I'm entirely misunderstanding it, a two-tier air filtration (one in toolbox and another in retro box) before getting to the carb. If I do the mod to keep the look of the enfield and free up the toolbox, I have only one filter. I'll rejet and tune up as Im getting new exhaust as well, but is engine health going to be worse off?
Thanks from a newbie. Love this forum.
REVA
"Deluxe" translates to: The EFI isn't quite ready. But meanwhile, here's our latest creation of spare parts to provide you many years of headscratching and alopecia.   Kind regards, RE, Chennai, India.

Michael Marsceill

• Scooter
  • 2009 AVL Deluxe
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:42:06 pm
Okay, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but on my AVL the air filter is in the toolbox and there's nothing in the air filter box. It's just there to retain the classic look. It also allows come space between the filter and the carb.

REVirginia

• 2009 AVL Deluxe
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:15 pm
I jumped the gun posting perhaps. The older posts I read about this topic may have been referring to the iron barrel air filter, maybe? Still don't understand why then they referred to freeing up the RH toolbox. I'll take the air box off. The mod may be impossible to do if it is simply empty. If that's the case, maybe I'll cut the back off the box, get a longer hose from the carb and secure a conical filter behind it. I'll update later. Hitchcock in uk does sell the mode making the airbox functional with a gauze filter for 35£, but what's the fun in that?
"Deluxe" translates to: The EFI isn't quite ready. But meanwhile, here's our latest creation of spare parts to provide you many years of headscratching and alopecia.   Kind regards, RE, Chennai, India.