Author Topic: Engine Polishing Round 2  (Read 12684 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 21, 2013, 03:41:42 pm
So, I just wasn't happy with the polishing results that I achieved the other day when I was cleaning up my motor.  I know part of the problem was that I just used regular rubbing compound to polish the metal instead of actual metal polish.  The other problem was that the metal is 55 years old and it's been at least 15 years of storage since that metal has had a good polishing.  So while at work yesterday I was looking at the different types of metal polish we have.  Then I noticed a Brand New Meguiars product.  Meguiars Medium-Cut Metal Polish

So, I bought a tube and brought it home and went straight to the garage after work.  I fired up the heater and pull all my lower controls off, again, and started going to town with my 3" high speed buffer.  A couple hours later, and I was rather impressed at how well the polish did.  Again, not perfect, but the covers look great.  I ALMOST have that mirror like shine, and the transmission cover, above all else, looks a 100 times better.  I am very happy with this product and the results speak for themselves.  The pics aren't the best because I took them inside of my garage in the middle of a snow storm, but I'll take some better ones when the weather clears up again.   Scottie

Primary Cover After Rubbing Compound

Primary Cover After Meguiars Medium-Cut Metal Polish

Timing Cover After Rubbing Compound

Timing Cover After Meguiars Medium-Cut Metal Polish

This angle really gives you a better look at the depth of the shine
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:17 pm
I'd say you're there with the mirror finish. Looks good.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:44:47 pm
Looks a lot better than mine did after polishing. Gotta get me some Mequiars!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:49:46 am
I love Meguiar's and I've had really good luck with all their products over the years.  We also started stocking a Meguiar's finishing metal polish that I'm thinking about trying out in the future.  For general metal cleaning I use Nevr-Dull and buff it clean with a microfiber.

Bare - Get yourself the 3M Head Light Restoration Kit
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_headlight-lens-restoration-system-3m_7100089-p?navigationPath=L1*14919|L2*14989|L3*15424

Use the backing disc and buffing pad along with a high speed drill or a 1/4" die grinder and that Medium-Cut polish.  Plan on spending about 30-45 minutes per side.  I spent about 2 1/2 hours total.  You'll also need a handful of rags and a microfiber or 2.  Oh, and don't forget to clean up the polish sling all over your surrounding areas.   ;)    Scottie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:43:03 pm
I started off with Nevr-Dull and it did very little for me so I got some Mother's Aluminum Polish and along with the drill and buffer assy and all that crap, it was a big improvement, but still wasn't quite up there with yours.
But at this point, now, I have to wait to get a new one to stain up and try again!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:46:14 am
If you really want to do it to the max, you have to start with sandpaper, and do the whole surface by hand, and then move to the next finer grit sandpaper, and do that all by hand, and so on.
After you get up to about 1500 grit paper, you can move to polishing compound.

That will give you a top shine.
It also takes days of work, and your fingers will all be red and sore and possibly bleeding from sandpaper work.
That's how Chumma does it.
Here's an example of how that worked out on Chuck's Fireball that Chumma did.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:49:53 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:52:42 pm
Damn it!  My garage is full of sand paper too!  I didn't realize that I could sand that metal.  That does make sense though.  ace - Does he start off with 600 or 800 grit paper?  And does he use any kind of lubricant like water or detailing spray?  I was going to repaint jugs, heads and case Metallic Black next weekend, but now I might give one more shot at shining up the covers first......   Awww, screw it.  I'm ready to start painting this thing!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:11:39 pm
Damn it!  My garage is full of sand paper too!  I didn't realize that I could sand that metal.  That does make sense though.  ace - Does he start off with 600 or 800 grit paper?  And does he use any kind of lubricant like water or detailing spray?  I was going to repaint jugs, heads and case Metallic Black next weekend, but now I might give one more shot at shining up the covers first......   Awww, screw it.  I'm ready to start painting this thing!

The grit to start with depends on what the surface pitting is like. If there are deep pits that need to come out, you need to start with some fairly coarse paper, and work your way up to the finer grits. That takes a long time if you have to do that.
Once you get above 400 grit, you can use the paper wet if you want to.

It's strictly a matter of perseverance and desire. It is so time consuming  and tough on the hands that you really have to want to do it. And once you start out, you have to finish it, or else it looks horrible.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 10:47:31 pm
I might mention that the best sandpaper for sanding metal is the black "silicone carbide" wet/dry paper.
It is made for sanding metal and things like lacquer.

Using some water with it will keep it from loading up with debris which is important with the finer grits.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:13:33 pm
I have had a good experience with Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish. Would deffo recommend it. I've been searching for a less abrasive polish to give it the flawless finish. The Mothers Mag&Al does leave fine scratches - not too noticeable, though.

2002 RE Electra CDI
India

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:33 am
+1 to Mothers.

Also forum brother greekxj is my go to information source on matters like this.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:41:14 am
I've been doing auto body and custom restorations for 9 yearsnow and Mother's has always been good to me.  Them and Meguiar's.  Both great products with every product they have.
Scottie

mbpinto123

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 08:33:34 pm
I just started sanding my engine side covers.  What is the best way to sand?  circles or back and forth? sorry for the lame question but any help will be greatly appreciated!!! 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 08:49:18 pm
It's actually best to combine the 2 motions.  Go over the entire cover going back and forth, and then go over the entire cover doing small circles.  Then go to next finer grit.  I'm not sure how bad of shape they are in , but you need to wet sand and start off with either 800 or 1000 grit (depending on how pitted and corroded the metal is), then 1500, and finish with 2000.  After that you will want to buff out the metal with medium metal polish and a 3" buffer (the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit works very well with a drill).  Once the haze is completely gone and the cover is shiny again, finish it off with finishing polish.  Microfibers work great anytime you are wet sanding and polishing.  Use them often to clean the surface so you can track your progress and identify any areas that still need work.

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 08:51:52 pm
Scottie nailed it he's absolutely correct.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.