Author Topic: The Blackhawk Is Being A Douche  (Read 2462 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 08, 2013, 02:01:06 am
So I'm riding into work this morning, 35 miles 1 way, and bike is running great.  65 mph the whole way no problem.  Get 1 1/2 miles from my exit and the bike starts coughing and puking but somehow managed to maintain 50 mph and limp it to my exit and the last 4 blocks to work.  Start it up twice throughout the day and bike fired right up and ran fine.  I was super busy today and I didn't get a chance to look at it so I ended up leaving the bike at work and took a shop car home.  I did look at the electronic ignition plate to see if that came loose again, but all was good there.

I'm thinking it's 1 of 2 things:
A - The wire is coming loose from the "ignition"/toggle switch which I have zip tied to the battery bracket where the nut came off yesterday, causing it to hang from the wires on that side where the switch is.

or B - I got a major piece of dirt/crap in the bowl of the carb.  I did notice that the element in the reserve fuel filter somehow detached itself from the filter housing.  I know there was some chunks of crap in there from before I replaced the petcocks last night that are no longer in there.

Either 1 is quite probable.  Anyone else have any other suggestions worth looking into?   ???

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:26:54 am
Switch is easier to check first right?  However, if it was acting like it needed more fuel at speed, but idled fine, I'd look for crap in the main jet.
So to answer your question; nope, I have no other ideas.
Take that back, intermittent coil problem is possible, like only when it gets hot.  But I'd go for crap in jet first.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:04:57 pm
I thought about the coil too, but it's only 4 months old with maybe 400-500 miles on it.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:35:42 pm
Carb was clean and the wires on the switch were as tight as when I put them on.  HOWEVER, upon further investigating over my lunch, and inspecting all 4 wires in ignition system (LOL  I love custom aftermarket) I noticed the spade terminal for the ground wire on the coil was not very tight and I could wiggle it on the terminal.  So I pulled the terminal off and squished the connector back together and reinstalled it firmly back onto the terminal.

Was that the actual problem?   ???  Definitely could have been.  Especially considering as soon as pulled off the interstate and reduced my speed/vibrations it mostly went away.  I've started the bike a few times over the last couple days and has always started right up with no misfires.  So I've eliminated it down to either it was that loose connection causing the problem, or the coil is taking a shit already.  Hopefully it was just that loose wire.  But if it is the coil, it has a 5 year unlimited warranty.  Still haven't gotten a chance to take it back on the rode, drove a customer car home last night for a test drive.  BTW  I checked the spark plugs, and they are burning perfectly.    :D

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:26:53 pm
 8)  Let's hope that was it.  If it wasn't the prob, you've prevented it from causing problems in the future anyway.  My buddies would tell you to sell it and get a Honda.  I say go for a ride and keep the cool.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 09:53:58 pm
Rode the bike home from work today and ran great with no misfires.  However, the 2 times I stopped while the bike was hot (maybe 5-10 minutes between restarts)  all the fuel drained out of the carb bowl and acted like it was flooded, took 4-5 kicks to restart.  (FYI I always turn off the fuel when I stop)  And just for "kicks"   ;D  I tried starting the bike immediately after shutting it down and it starts right back up.  Any ideas?

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:22:26 pm
If the fuel drained out of the bowl it would be down on the motor somewhere and you should see it. If it's getting to high in the carb then it's going into the motor, that's what the tiny little hole on the bottom of the manifold is for so it can leak out and not flood the motor messing up the lubrication on the rings. basically check if your needle's leaking.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:44:55 am
Sounds like a leaking float needle, or a high float level. Check the float for leaks, they have been known to sink. Very similar symptoms
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com