Author Topic: Leaky gas cocks  (Read 2982 times)

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
  • 2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe and 1943 WD CO
on: February 21, 2013, 02:50:57 pm
I JUST got my '45 WD going, but have serious leaks at both of the gas cocks, where the gas lines attach to the cocks.  Is there any way to stop the leaks, like adding some sort of plumbers tape that can withstand gas to the threads?

Thanks,  Bill

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:02:29 pm
I just noticed the other day that 1 of my gas petcocks is leaking as well.  Except that mine seems to be leaking from the actual valve area where the switch is.  I'm not sure if they are repairable or not, but they are on Ebay for pretty cheap.   Scottie

Ebay Listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norton-Triumph-BSA-AJS-Enfield-Fuel-Gas-Petcock-British-with-Filter-and-Reserve-/140723086645?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c3bfe535&vxp=mtr

NFG Listing
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/fuel-tap.html
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:29:14 pm
Hi Scottie, Just make sure you get one with the correct threads.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:01:49 pm
Is there any way to stop the leaks, like adding some sort of plumbers tape that can withstand gas to the threads?

Plumber's (Teflon) tape will work fine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:42:24 pm
I agree bare.
Although I've read some horror stories about teflon tape being used in fuel systems I think they were really caused by the thin tape taring during installation and the pieces floating downstream to cause mischief.

PTFE or Teflon as we often call it is highly resistant to both gasoline and to all of the alcohols.
Note in the chart in the link below that it is rated "E" (excellent) for almost everything.

http://www.vp-scientific.com/Chemical_Resistance_Chart.htm

Another chart I found said it was also rated Excellent for use with beer.
Now, how could something that is good with beer be bad?  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05:14 am
Is that ptfe stuff the yellow teflon tape for home gas lines? I have a leaky 'cock too ( couldn't resist) ever since I removed my tank and cleaned the crud out of it last fall. It just seems weepy always moist with gas... But i got about a quarters worth of random metal and shite out if the tank! And my pickup tube was filthy so I removed it from the petcock and rinsed it in clean gas ans blew the funk outta it with compressed air. I may not have perfectly reassembled the lil bugger but it doesn't leak like a seive, so thats good. Also i out new heavier fuel line with a little red plastic fuel filter on the line from the petcock to the carb. So far so good!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:55 pm
The yellow Teflon tape is made for use on natural gas lines in buildings.

I don't think there is much if any difference between it and the white tape but a lot of building codes get very picky about what is used in natural gas pipes.

If a building inspector sees a some other tape like material on the joints he has no way of knowing if it is Teflon or some other plastic tape the guy who put the pipes together had in his lunch box.  There are neoprene, propylene, urethane, etc tapes available and many of those could leak.
If he sees a super thin yellow tape he can be pretty sure it is the Teflon tape made for natural gas joints.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary