Author Topic: Musket rides again  (Read 1906 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:22 pm
This delightful and high deserving project has reached the next milestone:

http://www.musketvtwin.com/home.html

To make a very broad generalisation, these Muskets are an echo of the Meteor and Constellation (in US and Canada Interceptor). But those were parallel twins. Especially the Constellation was considered the smoothiest british bike of the period, due to a dynamic balanced crankshaft.

Mr. Vardhan says it's a smooth ride, but how smooth is smooth? So here's the question: would the Musket be as smooth, smoothier or less than its parallel counterpart?
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:21:41 pm
I have very close ties to Mr. Vardhan and this project, and you might even be interested to know that the crankcase casting was built to permit a variety of top-ends on it, which might even include a pair of UCE top-ends. They will fit.

As a 59 degree v-twin, it certainly has the potential to be smoother than the parallel twin. However, it does depend on how true and balanced the crankshaft is. 60 degree is a very good v-twin design for balance, and 59 is essentially the same.

Have a look at this test ride video to see it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKfvb6p6Lw
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:32:36 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:31:48 pm
Hmmm... tighter angle of 59 degrees.  You can make a very smooth 90 degree twin.  The tighter the angle gets the more vibes you tend to get.  There are ways to counteract that of course.  Just knowing how much work, planning and engineering have gone into this machine I'd bet it's pretty smooth.

I have to say too, I like the aesthetics of the shorter top tube stretch.  The bike looks more English, less American cruiser than the last rendition.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:34:47 pm by Ducati Scotty »

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:36:17 pm
He really does some beautiful work.  I hope he gets a good return on his investment beyond the personal satisfaction.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:54 pm
Thanks for the tip on the new video. The longer pipes do not snuff the very distinctive sound. One can't help to laugh from genuine joy.

So practically the whole range would be present, UCE heads included. Is the double 535cc still on the '2do' shelf?

A Harley functioned as the germ for the idea but the Musket stays far away from the american cruiser, British it is, true and true; and so charming that is an Indian product, where the spirit has been kept alive.
We are very lucky.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt