Author Topic: Polished My Engine Covers today  (Read 1523 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:15 pm
I decided to pull the lower controls off my bike today and tried polishing my engine covers with my 3" buffer and some heavy duty rubbing compound.  After that I went back over it and polished it again with some Never Dull.  They're better than they were, but still not as good as I had hoped to achieve.

Timing Cover Before

Timing Cover After

Primary Cover Before

Primary Cover After
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:16 pm
Rather than using "heavy duty rubbing compound", the next time your at your local hardware store look for some "Dico CHROME, CR1" buffing compound.

This comes in a cardboard tube that is about 1 inch in diameter X 5" long.
It is a fairly hard, dark red wax like material that is made for polishing metal.

Although this particular compound is made for polishing steel I've found that it is excellent for polishing aluminum, brass and copper as well.

Normally, it is used on a cloth high speed polishing wheel but with a bit more effort it will work on a low speed buffer.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:31:09 am
The only way to get the see your face in it is to buff them on a wheel and even then they don't come up as bright as the Harleys I had from the same era as your bike. I think it's the metal they use in the casting process.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:47:13 am
Maybe next year when I rebuild the motor I'll pull them off and take them to a buffing wheel.  But I think they're good enough for now.  They're not perfect, but they have a pretty descent shine for now.  Then again, once I do the paint, I might change my mind.  LOL    :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King