Author Topic: 2011 military/what's it worth?  (Read 2491 times)

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
on: February 18, 2013, 12:02:33 am
Sorry to say but I've come to the conclusion that I need to sell my beloved bike. I've had it for two years and its lack of power has restricted me to the back roads limiting my rides to local affairs only. I just can't take the vibrations and general instability at interstate speeds. It has 6,300 miles on it and is in perfect shape with the only add ons being an efi muffler and a 7" headlight and a fender bag. Any one have any idea what the resale value should be private sale?
Don't get me wrong, I still love this bike for what it does best which is back roads. But I have a club I belong to that starts their rides 50 to 100 miles from where I  live requiring me to get on a highway to get there or stick to the back roads which takes too long. I can't afford to have two bikes so I've decided, if I can sell this bike of course, to get a Honda 700ncx.
So in conclusion, what should I be asking for to make a quick sale?
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:56:55 am
if you got the time to wait. Get everything in order, Clean bike, spares, log book, Manuel's.

Start High. Can always lower the price if offered cash and can't wait any longer.

I assume you own the bike , not the bank.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:05 pm
I'm guessing that no one has an opinion on what my bike might be worth? this is the first time no one gives a solid suggestion on this blog. Help me out guys and gals, I need to sell this bike!
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:00:33 pm
Quick sale, I'd say $4400

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:16:00 pm
Here's the Kelley Blue Book Value - $5015
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/royal-enfield/c5-bullet-classic-military/2011-royal-enfield-c5-bullet-classic-military/suggestedretailvalue/

I don't know what you paid for it or what you owe, if any, but I'd think that $3800-$4500 would be a fair price for a quick sale.  Just depends on how big of a hit you're willing to take, how bad you need to sell it, and how MUCH you truly need to get back from selling it.   Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:24:20 pm
bman,
Check out David Blasco's blog. There are lots of craigslist posting for all years of Enfields.  You should be able to see what they are going for an make a call.  I'd start in the mid to high 4k range since that is just under the blue book value.  I'd ask yourself what your bottom line is and add a few hundred for negotiating room.

blog:
http://www.royalenfields.com/

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 05:15:56 pm
I'd start in the mid to high 4k range since that is just under the blue book value.  I'd ask yourself what your bottom line is and add a few hundred for negotiating room.

Totally Agreed.   :)   Figure out what you absolutely HAVE to get out of the bike and tack on an extra $500 or so to give yourself that negotiation cushion.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:52:11 pm
Thanks for all the advice out there! Of course I'd rather not sell it and have two bikes but I haven't won the lottery so if I want a different bike it's got to go. I know that as soon as I sell it ill regret not having that good ole thumper under my but.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:08:19 pm
I have club rides that start over 100 miles from my house. I just get on the freeway and go. I can cruise 65-70 with no problem. In the 100 miles, I might be about save 10 minutes if I want to keep looking for cops! The RE is fine!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 12:18:38 am
I thought the 2011 bikes were uce and could do the highway without the problems our ol iron 500s from 08 (or so) and back had?
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:08 am
The 2011 bikes are UCE and riding at 65-70 is no problem for them after they are broken in.

Whether this is good for highways has more to do with the highway than the bike.
For instance, I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff has stretches with a posted speed of 75 mph.
That means everyone is driving at 85 + mph including the big 18 wheelers.
IMO, that's not good company to be in when your bikes max speed is 80. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 05:22:44 am
The 2011 bikes are UCE and riding at 65-70 is no problem for them after they are broken in.

Whether this is good for highways has more to do with the highway than the bike.
For instance, I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff has stretches with a posted speed of 75 mph.
That means everyone is driving at 85 + mph including the big 18 wheelers.
IMO, that's not good company to be in when your bikes max speed is 80. :(

You ride a G5 and the poster has a C5 which is known to have high speed handling problems. If you haven't seen the C5 episode on Cafe Race TV then you might want to check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtYClkqclrQ  The fix for the handling issues was quite extensive. These bikes aren't for everyone. Riding should be fun and somewhat effortless. I think bman734 will be happy with the new ride he has picked and someone will get a C5 they've been dreaming about for a price that won't break the bank.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:36:06 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:37:45 pm
Hey guys, this is not my first ride. I've owned bikes since I was 16 years old and as much as I like this bike, I have to disagree with some of you claiming that the C5 is stable at highway speeds. I've ridden it on the highway numerous times and couldn't wait to get off of them after about 20 miles. Lets face it, this is a naked 500 single that vibrates and with the upright seating position this bike is a struggle to hang on to after awhile. I rode a ninja 650R last year on the highway from Cleveland to Columbus, 120 miles, and I had absolutely no fatigue after that ride so I know what a stable bike should feel like. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy this bike with the intention of riding on highways, it was going to be for short back road rides near where I live. But now I want to go a ways to southern Ohio with my future son in law and just the thought of hanging on to the C5 was daunting enough for me to not even think about going there with him. Getting a more stable and more powerfull bike will allow me to do that now. I love this bike and just wish I could afford to have them both. Thanks for all the comments and advise. You guys always give me a laugh and are very loyal to your rides which is very commendable!
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:50 am
sorry this doesn't have to do with the price but a question about the new forks. I have the same bike with 3500+ miles I haven't had it but 8 months I think. I have been on the interstate at 70-75mph and it was a monster to hold her on the road. I was just curious if the new forks solved the handling issues.

Good luck with selling your bike, maybe you will be kind enough to post when you sell it.

I have a second bike a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim and if I know I am going to have to get on the interstate she is my ride. I live in the country so I spend a lot of my time back road riding an two lane where the C5 Military is perfectly fine for. I seldom jump on the interstate so the C5 has become my primary bike. How ever if I had to commute (I am on disability so I don't work) or wanted to travel using the highways I could see how the C5 wouldn't be such a good deal.

anyways  Good luck and hope you get what your wanting for the bike and hope you get the ride you want.
Signature