Author Topic: What a steal  (Read 5970 times)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:06:49 am
mattsz- try a different helmet or maybe take a short ride without a helmet just to see if it makes an difference.

FWIW - I fitted a windshield to my other bike, rode it 10 miles, the buffeting was horrible, wind noise was unbearable, tried earplugs.  The windshield looked good but was non adjustable.  Took the thing off and sold it on CL.

good luck
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:18 am
Thanks, guys...

What kind of bottom gap are we talking about here?  In the photo, I have about 1/4" space between the screen and the headlight.  Is a 2-inch gap going to help, or hinder?  I'm sure it would look goofy, but at this stage in my life I can move vanity to the back seat - to a point!  ;)

It's interesting to give this further consideration.  I understand about the optimal windscreen height concept, and I'm telling you, this screen is not close.  Maybe it's mounted all wrong - pic 1 shows more of a side angle.  Keep in mind that I'm at the extreme ends of the mounting bars; the bottom of the shield is back to where it's almost touching the pilot lights.  I can't tilt it forward, to make it more vertical, any more than it is now without longer mounting bars, and I'm not sure I could do it even then because of how the handle bar clamps end up controlling the shield angle.  Regarding the previous photo showing the mounting, is it possible that I have the handlebar brackets on "backwards"?  Would they fit, and function, with the cylindrical mounting clamps forward rather than back?  I wonder...

The other problem may be my height.  I'm not a giant by any means; I'm 6 feet, 1 inch tall, and a lot of that is inseam.  The bike feels like a good fit, and standing on its own, it looks normal to me, but I've always thought that in photos of me on it, it looks small beneath me.  In the second pic, I'm sitting up, taller, I think, than I would be in riding position, but it seems to me that with the screen's top edge about a foot above my mirror tops (see the pic from my previous post), there's no way I'm going to get that shield up to where it's 1 inch below my eye height at riding position.

My helmet may be my problem, but geez, it cost me almost $400 - I wasn't going to skimp on protecting my noggin.  I can't afford to just keep trying new ones until I find one that makes my afterthought windscreen quieter.  But the pitfalls of helmet buying are another subject...

I don't know - everything is in storage and in pieces at the moment, so I can't really do any experimenting until riding season returns.  We've already had some days that I would consider warm enough to ride (above freezing would be fine with me if I could solve my cold hands problem), but those days also include melting snow and there's still a ton of salt and sand on the pavement, so I'm just going to have to wait...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:33 pm
I'd say you could go 2-3" before it looks really goofy and it should help.  The other option is to go lower.  Put your head in clear air, let the turbulence hit your shoulders, and still get plenty of protection for your torso.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 10:40:17 pm
I'm 5'10". Use motocross or open face helmet with goggles.

No noise with open face; there is some noise with motocross, which is normal, helmet related, and remedied with earplugs. Earplugs are always recommended.

Shield is adjustable 40-45cm (16-18") and is at its lowest setting, with a gap at the bottom of 2cm (15/16").
At start it was in top position. But that was way too warm in summer. Since then it is in bottom position, winter included.

From what I see on your picture I would say the tilt is just fine. Should direct wind right over your helmet.

A guideline is just a guideline, not law. You are the ultimate referee over the result. For me the better tip was to measure how far you can look over the top of the screen. That should be at least 20m-40m (22-45 yard) before the wheel.

Hope that helps. Any protection vs cold is very welcome. Very bitter northern wind over here, but awesome skies, terrific riding. My favorite time of the year.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:54 am
I can't tilt it forward, to make it more vertical, any more than it is now without longer mounting bars, and I'm not sure I could do it even then because of how the handle bar clamps end up controlling the shield angle.  Regarding the previous photo showing the mounting, is it possible that I have the handlebar brackets on "backwards"?  Would they fit, and function, with the cylindrical mounting clamps forward rather than back?  I wonder...

Mattsz-

I think the windshield angle is a little low.  I had mine angled similarly and ended up with a face full of wind.  Once I got home I adjusted the mounting bars so that the windshield was more vertical.  It made a huge difference and now there's almost no wind.  I'm 5"10.

Explaining the way my mount looks is just too confusing, so I'll post a pic/vid soon.  It may be all you need to get it working like a champ.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:44 am
I'd appreciate any mounting input, Shamelin.  The instructions that came with the screen actually don't make it real clear whether the handlebar clamps should have the strut mounting ahead of or aft of the bars...

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 02:50:58 pm
   INSTRUCTIONS
WINDSHIELD STYLE  I, II,III #Z90745,Z90748,Z90118
•   Attach the mounting rods to the windshield using the rubber grommets. The rubber grommet should be inserted through the holes in the windshield so that the flat round washer part of the grommet lays flat on each side of the windshield.
•   Hold the windshield up in the desired position so you can see where to mount the handlebar clamps.
•   Loosely mount the handlebar clamps. (on 7/8” bars, use the sizing bands provided).
•   Slip the mounting rods into the rod holders on the handlebar clamps. Tighten the rod holders when the rods are the correct length.
•   Tighten the handlebar clamps next, set your angle, and then tighten the pinch bolts at the windshield.

NEVER RIDE WITH ANY PART OF THE HARDWARE MISSING OR LOOSE!!

(Windshield Components)                  (Mounting Bracket)                       (Windshield Installed)
   Windshields may vary from picture

To clean your windshield, wash it with warm water and a mild, non-abrasive, dishwashing liquid. Use
                                        A soft cloth such as a soft T-shirt or flannel cloth.

To protect your windshield, use NOVUS #2 to remove minor scratches, or use polish specially designed      for plastic. NEVER use glass cleansing agents they cause severe damage to your windshield.   

Never use any petroleum-based chemicals, or cleansing agents with ammonia.   

Note: Use approved and accepted shop practices and all applicable safety gear and practices when installing these products on your motorcycle. These instructions assume a certain level of mechanical competency, such as the ability to use hand and power tools as well as basic mechanical experience. If you lack the tools or experience to install these accessories after a review of the instructions, please consult a professional or your Royal Enfield dealer. Classic Motorworks or Royal Enfield assumes no liability for installation or fitness for use of these products.
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:17 am
Thanks, PartsMan!  But you've made my point for me - the instructions, including the diagrams I got with the screen, don't make it real clear whether the handlebar clamps should have the rod holders ahead of or aft of the bars...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 12:32:52 am
I don't believe it matters.  Mount it so that they're in the best spot for you to get the final position you want.

Scott

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 02:12:05 am
Allright, here's the way I set it up.  By rotating the clamps forward and placing the long end of the mounting bars horizontal, I was able to get the windshield more vertical.  Now no wind.

I haven't decided if this "fix" is real- it's not like I changed the laws of physics by changing the position of the clamps and bar.  But maybe the change was just enough to get the wind over my head.

Give it a shot when it warms up mattsz.  Worst case, it's a hour lost.  Best case, it works great.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:04 am
Shamelin-

Thanks for posting those pics!!!  I can see how your configuration would be taller than mine.  I will definitely try it...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 03:28:20 am
That's a fix in my book.  Small changes can make a big difference here.  Nicely done.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:09 pm
Used Shamelin's pics as a guide for re-mounting my screen.  It's definitely further forward, more upright and a bit taller, but it made absolutely no difference in the wind noise.  The only way to reduce the noise is to practically lay down on the tank and get my head completely below the top edge.

My first reaction is to ditch the damn thing, but maybe I'll just keep it... I really only need it for a couple of months of cold riding.

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 01:18:28 am
Bummer- was hoping it would do the trick.