Author Topic: What a steal  (Read 5967 times)

shamelin

• Bulleteer
on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:08 pm

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:51:16 pm
Send me $35 if it will make you feel better.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:20:58 pm
Memphis Shades makes some very good quality stuff.  The NFieldGear windshields are actually MS.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:57:58 pm
Same screen I got from NFG; I paid substantially more than you did, shamelin!  But at the time, ebay didn't have any complete units for sale, just replacement plastic from dealers, without mounting hardware.  Unfortunately, now I'm trying to figure out how to make riding with the screen enjoyable - it keeps me warm, but the helmet noise from the wind deflection is unbelievable.  Can't ride above 25mph without ear plugs, and at 55mph I cannot, at all, hear my engine running.  I have some suggestions from another thread...

Too bad about the shipping for your seller - I don't know how they managed it, but NFG shipped mine in a big box with some other stuff for $11.

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:18:43 pm
Unfortunately, now I'm trying to figure out how to make riding with the screen enjoyable - it keeps me warm, but the helmet noise from the wind deflection is unbelievable.  Can't ride above 25mph without ear plugs, and at 55mph I cannot, at all, hear my engine running.  I have some suggestions from another thread...

Yeah, I'm still messing with the position to get it just right and minimize wind noise as much as possible.  I found that custom earplugs help out quite a bit and are pretty darn comfortable.  Instead of paying a arm and leg for someone else to do it, I did it myself for $0.75.

It might be worth a try if you're feeling adventurous.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Custom-Fit-Earphones/

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:32:33 pm
I sit somewhat tall in the saddle, so maybe I have a harder time than some other riders.  I find that despite the seemingly infinite position possibilities offered by the adjustable mounting hardware, when I clamp everything down, the screen is pulled into one attitude that I cannot really adjust.  Maybe if I drastically alter where the clamps rest on the handlebars, I'd get more options.

I'm thinking of trying the "micro-swirl" product, which has had a positive review here on the forum:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1259.msg29850.html#msg29850

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:51:00 pm
Move the clamps.  Ideally you want to just be able to see over the top.  Then the air should blast right over your helmet. 

You're getting hit with the laminar flow of air off the top lip of the shield.  Those swirl generators can help a lot by breaking the laminar flow up. 

Another alternative is to get a shorter shield.  You get less protection but your head I'd in a clear air stream.  The turbulence hits your shoulders instead. 

I hated dealing with all this stuff over the years.  Now I just use a fly screen to take the blast off my stomach or go naked.  I'd rather have my head in a clear, quiet air stream. 

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:35 am
Well, the screen's bottom round cutout it down around the headlight where it should be.  I can't really raise it up much higher without opening up that gap.  I understand that I should just be able to see over the top, but there's no way to do it with that windscreen - it's not tall enough.  Did I buy the wrong one?  Probably, but it is the tallest one NFG sells.  I understood that it would be ok.  Turns, out, it isn't ideal.

It's a cold weather thing.  It keeps my body warm, which is the primary reason I bought it.  I don't want to go shorter, and end up with my body back in the cold.  I don't want to sit behind a billboard, either.  As soon at it warms up enough, the screen comes off.  So what's left is me trying to make what I have work.  I like the low risk of trying this money-back guaranteed addition...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:01 am
Raise it.  The gap at the bottom lets air in so you don't get a vacuum bubble behind the screen.  This also smooths it out.  It might look goofy but it will work better.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:09 am
I knew there was something I forgot to add...

I did try to raise it, after a fashion.  Problem is, it won't go any higher.  I can't move the handlebar clamps up any further without angling them out (rather than up) too far.  I'm at the length limits of the two struts that hold the screen (see pic).  I guess the next step in raising it would be to buy or fabricate some longer struts...

Raise it.  The gap at the bottom lets air in so you don't get a vacuum bubble behind the screen.  This also smooths it out.  It might look goofy but it will work better.

Interesting.  I wonder at what point increasing that gap in order to raise the top edge produces diminishing returns - too much wind beneath the screen.  I don't see how I can find out without buying or fabricating new struts.  Anyone ever try this?  Are parts available?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 03:22:58 pm
Contact Memphis Shades, ask if they have some longer struts.

Scott

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 06:52:50 pm
I knew there was something I forgot to add...

I did try to raise it, after a fashion.  Problem is, it won't go any higher.  I can't move the handlebar clamps up any further without angling them out (rather than up) too far.  I'm at the length limits of the two struts that hold the screen (see pic).  I guess the next step in raising it would be to buy or fabricate some longer struts...

Interesting.  I wonder at what point increasing that gap in order to raise the top edge produces diminishing returns - too much wind beneath the screen.  I don't see how I can find out without buying or fabricating new struts.  Anyone ever try this?  Are parts available?

We sell 2" longer rods for $16.95 (Z91309). You will have to order by phone- Phone Sales & Service:
1-800-358-0938
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:44 pm
Ain't this board great :)

Also, every rod mounted windshield I've ever had takes a little tweaking to get it mounted just the way you want it.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 02:35:50 am
PartsMan - I take it you've read through this thread, and observed my photo... what's your take on this?  Should these screens be sold with longer rods?  Mine is basically as high as it will go, and it's too short.  Should I be thinking of raising this screen 2 inches higher, or should I be thinking about another solution instead?

I'm not that tall, but I suppose I might sit taller in the saddle than some... am I the only one who has bought this screen and had this kind of trouble?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 03:32:17 am
Based on your picture, I have the same screen but I got it from NFG.

Mine also sits down where yours is but the wind blast doesn't bother me.  My full face helmet just lets it blow past me without much noise at all.

Anyway, based on some windscreen installation I read some time ago, the top of the windshield should be located about 1 inch below the height of your eyes when your in a normal sitting position.  At this height, the wind blast will be deflected over the top of your helmet.
As for the wind coming in under the shield, that will be sucked up along the rear side of the windscreen and will not only blend with the air passing over the top of the shield but it will raise the air pressure at the top, allowing the air to pass even higher over your head.

Only you, sitting on your bikes seat will know if you need to use the full 2 inches of the longer bars or if it will be enough.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary