Author Topic: So what do you think is the weakest point on UCE bikes?  (Read 10357 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 05:22:46 am
the weakest point on a UCE has to be the wobbly wet link between the handgrips & footpegs.   (the rider)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 10:40:43 am
It's certainly true of my bike, Gremlin!   8)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:10 am
If you read the owner's manual, it tells you when to check the oil, which is a two minutes after you shut it down. The level should be at or slightly over the middle of the sight glass. Pretty simple and pretty consistent
Bare

+1.  Which is about how long it takes me to get my gear off and hang it up, so easy-peasy.  And it's got to be hot so the oil flows.  If you just ride for ten minutes it's not hot, the oil doesn't get to the window, and it looks too low.  It's way weirder than any other bike I've ever owned but simple once you get used to it.

Oh, and wasn't me who suggested to measure what comes out and put that amount back in.  That a) takes planning and forethought and b) assumes the right amount was in there in the first place.  Neither of those is my style.

I have to beg to differ with Kevin here.  Even the o-ring C5 chains are sub-par.  Not all of them, but enough to keep an eye on it and pitch it early if you're adjusting it a lot.  Mine was way dead at only 6,500 miles.  My narrower OEM 520 chain on my Ducati 800 that I beat the crap out of lasted over 10,000 miles.

Glad to hear they're using a different battery.  The Exide ain't the worst but it's also not the best.  And yes, while sprag failures get a lot of press there aren't really many of them on the UCE.  I suspect with a better battery that doesn't tend to go weak there will be even fewer.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:56:58 am by Ducati Scotty »

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 01:13:09 am
We don't really see that many sprag clutches. Paint is better than it has ever been (new paint system), EFI is bullet proof as is the disc brake (pun intended). I agree about the oil level window. We have seen some battery leads as has been mentioned here. Lately they have been using a different battery. We used Exides for years and they were not a good battery. It was probably the single biggest cause of problems. About a year ago they switched to a battery made by FIEM from Italy. (made in China of course) and they have been much better. However you cannot beat an AGM battery. Stock non-oring chains are pretty weak, the o-ring ones are OK. I wish the front fender were a bit narrower in the middle on Classics. If the dealer installs them correctly they are not a problem but if they do not they scratch the fork covers. I am not thrilled with the snail type wheel adjusters. I do think they look cool though and in practice they are fine. While ideally nothing would ever go wrong when problems do occur they generally show up pretty quickly well within the warranty period.

I hate the whole oil level thing! I have been paying for my oil changes on the C5 Military since I got it and will continue until the warranty is up. How ever after it is up I am going to have to learn to do it my self with confidence. I have had 5 bikes in the last 7 years of which only RE has confounded me with the oil change.

The chain is stock at 3500+ miles seems to be fine but now I am second guessing it so I will have to inspect it and the sprockets.

I HATE THE SNAIL ADJUSTERS!!!!!! I was having issues and I have PAID to have my chain adjusted. Look that isn't easy for me to admit to because all of my bikes except my 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim have been chain drive and I have never ever ever ever ever had issues adjusting a chain. NEVER!!!! Which goes back to those DAMNED snell cams chain adjusters. Sorry I just hate them. HATE HATE HATE!!!!!!

My 2011 C5 Military Edition's battery is pretty much crapped out. I can't kick it with a dead battery? I tried maybe it's my kicking which could be because I am going to go post in camp fire about having surgery and the reason why would profoundly affect my kicking ability.

Oh I got a HUGE BITCH! Ready? Those two little pilot lights one each side of the head light, those little buggers would never stay lit. The dealer would replace them and I got have a block a away and flick poof. I bought a whole bunch of them and replaced as needed but after I ran out two days later I order those LED lights. Oh yeah that's where it is at! I love those led lights and they are so bright I think you can spot them in the distance before the head light. To bad those are not stock from India. I love my pilot lights now they look so awesome.

The glue that hold the seat cover on failed. I guess I will glue it instead of taking it in. It is very unsightly having your seat cover hanging down like hemroids for every one to see. Why does glue on the stock seats fail in the summer? Sure I live in IL and we kinda close to the Mississippi river enough the humidity is high and the heat but India gets hotter and parts get just as humid.

My auto decompressor is noisy but only until it warms up after the first few miles but I am afraid its gone out or weakened. My kicker doesn't wanna come up after kicking ir just lays limp half way. I have to lift it up. It just started this but it seems it started the same time the battery took crap and I can't see why it would effect the kicker?  I really don't have an issue with the decomp being noisy at all. It always stops making a racket after a few miles so I never gave it much thought.

Ok so that is about it for me. Really nothing serious. So how about some of my favorite points because I don't like the feel of my post it so heavy with negativity when I don't mean for it to be.

The style, it has wow factor and it draws tons of people to the bike. I get stuck because of it and I had been late because I attracted several people at a gas pump. I am an attention whore so I really do enjoy meeting new people.

I have traveled over 360 miles in one day and I was not the least bit sore the next day or while riding! That is a huge plus.

MPG that rocks, I am on SSI the gas mileage means I get to ride more.

I like how it handles. I have the 2011 with the weird forks. I wasn't sure what to make of it when I test rode the bike. It is not anything like any of the other bike I have rode. I test rode it and I thought hmmm I can have fun with this. I do have fun with the way it handles.

I like the fact that no one else has one where I live.

The seat rocks (other then the glue).

I love the handle bars!

OD Green gets the girls by the way. I have had a few random girls hop on. I was surprised by this.

I can do the speed limit and see a cop and freak out because I think I am speeding but when I look down I am doing the limit or less. lol I love that she is fun at 35 or 70. My Maxim isn't fun if I can't cruise at 7000rpm.

My bike is just awesome, its comfortable, great handling, fantastic fuel economy, kick starts, has looks that stands out like a beacon in the night, its sexy, and FUN!!!!!!!!!

OK there I felt the need to say a few good things. 
Signature

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 09:43:29 am
I HATE THE SNAIL ADJUSTERS!!!!!! I was having issues and I have PAID to have my chain adjusted. Look that isn't easy for me to admit to because all of my bikes except my 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim have been chain drive and I have never ever ever ever ever had issues adjusting a chain. NEVER!!!! Which goes back to those DAMNED snell cams chain adjusters. Sorry I just hate them. HATE HATE HATE!!!!!!

CHANGE THEM CHANGE THEM CHANGE THEM!!!!!

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/chain-adjusters-1557.html

And, if you're still riding on the factory chain, change it, too, and you won't be adjusting nearly as often!

Ok so that is about it for me. Really nothing serious. So how about some of my favorite points because I don't like the feel of my post it so heavy with negativity when I don't mean for it to be.

Well, don't be too hard on yourself... the thread did ask you what you thought the weakest points are!   ;D

Interestingly, or perhaps maybe not at all even remotely interestingly, nobody ever comments on my bike.  I never get stuck at gas stations or supermarkets or the hardware store.  I'm gonna call it a plus, and leave it at that...

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 06:02:34 pm
BrashRooster, I have the same problem with the pilot lights -- I'm going to get the LED lights too
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 07:10:37 pm
I hate the whole oil level thing! I have been paying for my oil changes on the C5 Military since I got it and will continue until the warranty is up.

It's really not that tough. WHen theoil stops running out as you drain it. Lean the bike to each side for a minute or so,several times. This will drain a lot of oil that is hung up inside the case. After you get the plugs back in and the filter changed, poutr in the first quart of oil and about 80% of the second quart. Then add the second slowly keeping an eye on the window. When it gets up about halfway in the window, start the back and let it run for few minutes, then recheck the level after a couple of minutes rest. Adjust the level if it needs more. If, perchance, it's showing too much, I never messed with it on my bike. I just ran it and never had a problem. If you rack it back and forth when draining enough, you may actually get into the third quart while filling. I did on a couple of occasions.

I had a Deka AGM battery in mine has worked perfectly for two years. It's a great addition.

I had the seat glue come loose on mine, too. Just get some spray contact adhesive. That should hold it. If not,  3M trim adhesive will!

You can change all the lights in the bike with LEDs except the headlight and turn signal bulbs. Reduces the load on the battery and electrical system a lot.
The autocompressor and kick starter return spring have nothing in common. My sutocompressor as always noisy when cold. I did the same thing you did, ignored it. The kick starter is either hanging up on something or spring is breaking/broken. You need to get the outer case pulled off to check it out.

Don't forget, it's a lot more fun riding a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow! How're those Malibu Mountains treating you? Some of the best riding anywhere!
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 02:49:05 am
In my part of the country, apparently the weakest point is the dealer support network.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 05:44:58 am
At some point (not sure about VIN number) the baffled inside the UCE engine were changed to drain more oil. (about 500ml I think)
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 01:56:35 pm
On the newest ones they have added another drain plug under the crankshaft.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 04:52:25 pm
On the newest ones they have added another drain plug under the crankshaft.

So now there a 3 drain plugs?
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:57 pm
Two drain plugs and the strainer cover.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:14 pm
At some point (not sure about VIN number) the baffled inside the UCE engine were changed to drain more oil. (about 500ml I think)

Does this mean that newer bikes don't need to be rocked and rolled to drain the oil?  If so, I'd sure like to know if mine fits that bill...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 06:23:54 pm
Does it have 2 drain plugs and a screen cover?
All ya gotta do is look!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 12:12:09 am
Bare - I've got just one drain plug and one screen cover.  But Kevin wasn't talking about drain plugs.  And, try as I might, I can't see inside to check whether my baffles were changed, and even if I could, I don't know what the old ones looked like, so I doubt I'd know anyway...