Author Topic: An end to shaky-mirror blues  (Read 1257 times)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 21, 2013, 04:21:28 am
while running in my Electra EFI I found the rear mirrors to be virtually useless.  They shook so much ( even when the engine was spinning up) that the 'objects in your mirror may be closer then they appear' legend was just a blur. In fact it was often a struggle to work out what those objects were. In time, as the engine bedded in, things improved a lot. I figured what mirror shaking remained was just par for the course on a big single.

A couple of weeks back I was looking through the 2013 Hitchcocks manual when I found the following:

Part no. 90247    MIRROR DAMPERS, PAIR (For standard Minda left and right hand thread mirrors)

These are basically chrome finished metallastic bushes, neatly done.  The cost in the UK is 11GBP, plus postage and vat. Minda mirrors are standard on many of the more recent bullets.

The difference is amazing - the mirrors remain clear from tickover onwards. There is a downside in that the mirrors sit about an inch higher from their original mounts, but that's actually a good thing for me because I see less of my arms, and more of what's going on behind me.  Worth a try.

Blair

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:48 pm
Ever since I became an expert on the study of the Right Hand Side Sleeve I have the desire to broaden my field.  ;D
The LHS was solved by turning the stem forward. Nevertheless I went for the mirror extensions (part 92599). To be installed, soon.
I'm surprised though by those vibrations. Mine is the same Electra, riviera red, from 2010.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt