Author Topic: Custom Painted Guitars  (Read 1489 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 15, 2013, 05:11:39 am
A bit off topic, but I'm sure there are some musicians on here that can appreciate these so I'd like to share some pics of my recent projects. I actually do custom hot rods and restorations on the side and I specialize in body and paint.  That being said, my best friend bought some kit guitars off of Ebay and asked id I'd be interested in painting them.  Of course I took them on, as I love to paint anything I can.   ;D  Most of these guitars we built have custom pick ups and electronics.  We also spent a lot of time on the wood work making sure it was perfect.  They all have come out really great, and I figured out a way to make the necks look natural and feel silky smooth.  ENJOY!   Scottie

These are the guitars

Ibanez Steve Vai Jem - Emerald Green Metallic

Ibanez 7 String - Sublime Green Pearl

The 7 String After Custom Vinyl Graphic

Les Paul W/ Custom Pick Ups & Knobs - Black Pearl Metallic W/ Custom Vinyl Graphic

Me After Spraying The Les Paul  (YES! I always wear a respirator when I paint)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:27:31 pm
Cool stuff Scottie.  The finish on those looks really well done.

What is the process for the vinyl graphics? I imagine the trick is getting some nice coats on top of them to make them look like they sit under the surface of the clear coat?

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:46:37 pm
Scottie: Very nice. Excellent smooth coat of your primary and clear coats...The clear coated avocado with the Maryjane leaves is interesting...Lots of drying time, light sanding and hit it again...Beautiful careful work. Looks like u have plenty of room in the garage there and no dust. Was just pricing the smaller hand held hobby air brushes for actual painting/detail work, I didn't realize how expensive they can get.  One of these days I'll break out my 200 dollar paint gun, clean the tips and see what I can shoot. It won't be something as delicate as those guitars.. GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:01 pm
Nice job Scott.     ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:55:15 am
Thanks guys!  I've been painting for over 8 years and doing hot rods for the last 6 years.  I've painted guitars in the past as well.

The vinyl graphics are printed by a place that John found online and then we install the graphic ourselves.  Then I clear coated over the graphic and base coat with a 2K Urethane clear coat.  The skull graphic on the Les Paul was one of their produced designs, and the Mary Jane design, John did the design on his computer and then sent the design to the graphic company and they printed it out and sent it to us.

As far as the green guitar goes, it hasn't been clear coated yet.  My buddy had just installed the graphic right before I stopped over and took that pic.  Hoping to clear coat it on Wednesday.

And speaking of painting things, I think I got the colors picked out for the metal flake and pearl I'm going to use on the Indian.   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King