Author Topic: Drum Brakes or Disc  (Read 3240 times)

Darvin Jahnke

• Scooter
on: February 15, 2013, 02:00:46 am
Was there a certain year that the Bullet changed from drum to disc brakes or was it an option? Thanks

bobscogin

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:05:44 am
Depends on the specific model. My 2009 AVL Classic has a font drum, but other models had a disk.

Bob

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:46:05 pm
Depends on the specific model. My 2009 AVL Classic has a font drum, but other models had a disk.

Bob

Sort of the same answer here. My '08 AVL Classic has front drum brake. I'm glad of it. I don't have to fool with a master cylinder or brake fluid & if you are aware of your brake's limits & don't over-ride those limits you're OK.

I believe there were front disc models in '08. I'm not positive, but I believe the '08 front disc model was designated the Electra. The Classic had front drum.

And just for clarity, my '08 Classic has the BS-29 CV carb, electronic ignition & front drum brake.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:19:33 pm
I have a 2007 Electra with a front disc.

I think Mr. tooseevee is correct.  The disc was on the AVL Eletra while the drum was retained for the AVL Classic of the same model years.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26:34 am
This first happened in 2003, on the 350 cc Bullet Electra.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:21:32 pm
To confuse you a little bit we sold aftermarket disc brake kits for years so you might find them on anything. I own the last 500cc Iron Barrell every made and of course it is drum. I seem to remember that the disc were first introduced in the US on the AVL Electra. The AVL Classics were an adaptation we pushed the factory to do and they had drum brakes. Since the UCE bikes all are front disc. They look like a normal brake, but they stop that bike like hitting a brick wall. They are made by Brembo at their Indian factory and carry one of their brand names. The new Cafe bike will have discs front and rear.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Darvin Jahnke

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:56:17 pm
Thanks to everyone for your replys. Kevin,I was suspicious of some sort of kit or option because the application seemed kind of random and really didn't follow a pattern. Like two bikes,same year same model,one with the drum and the other with a disc. I like the drum simply for the appearance. Unless a person is racing,the drum will suffice just fine. As long as you realize you limitations and ride accordingly,all will be fine. I've put thousands of miles on choppers with a drum rear and a spool on the front with no problems.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:15 pm
Like two bikes,same year same model,one with the drum and the other with a disc.
            But they're not the same model: The Classic has front drum, the Electra has front disc, in the same year.

As long as you realize you limitations and ride accordingly,all will be fine. I've put thousands of miles on choppers with a drum rear and a spool on the front with no problems.
[/quote]

Me, too. the Enfield is the first bike I've had since the '70s with a front brake. It took me 3 or 400 miles before I even got used to USING the front brake on the Enfield. I kept forgetting it HAD one. I'm only now, at 600 some odd miles, getting used to it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:26:43 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Darvin Jahnke

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:30:38 am
            But they're not the same model: The Classic has front drum, the Electra has front disc, in the same year.
They may have come from the factory that way but my point was and confirmed by Kevin that some have had kits added so you could have two classics one with drum and one with disc. Thats why I was asking if it was an option.Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well.
As long as you realize you limitations and ride accordingly,all will be fine. I've put thousands of miles on choppers with a drum rear and a spool on the front with no problems.

Me, too. the Enfield is the first bike I've had since the '70s with a front brake. It took me 3 or 400 miles before I even got used to USING the front brake on the Enfield. I kept forgetting it HAD one. I'm only now, at 600 some odd miles, getting used to it.