Author Topic: what position should the mag retard lever be in when starting the bike?  (Read 6468 times)

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
  • 2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe and 1943 WD CO
what position should the mag retard lever be in when starting the bike?  Thanks.  Bill

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
I can't say for certain about magnetos, but generally the ignition wants to be retarded for kicking over, and then advanced when you begin to ride.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
Thanks ace.  Do you know which direction on the lever retards the ignition?

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
I don't know for sure on your bike, however,if you look closely at the lever mechanism, you should be able to see how the lever pushes the mechanism.  The retard would be in the direction that causes the mechanism to move in the same direction as the magneto rotates.

Michael Marsceill

• Scooter
  • 2009 AVL Deluxe
Okay, I gotta ask a stupid question. Does an 06 iron barrel have a magneto...or a retard lever?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Okay, I gotta ask a stupid question. Does an 06 iron barrel have a magneto...or a retard lever?
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15852.0.html
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
An 06 should have an automatic advance built into the points plate.
They do not have magnetos. Mags pretty much went away in the 50s, with a few bikes hanging on into the 60s. Along with the mags, manual retard levers went away went with them. So did holed pistons.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
An 06 should have an automatic advance built into the points plate.
They do not have magnetos. Mags pretty much went away in the 50s, with a few bikes hanging on into the 60s. Along with the mags, manual retard levers went away went with them. So did holed pistons.
Bare

He's asking because he has a 1945 Royal Enfield WD-CO
Home of the Fireball 535 !

72westie

• Grease Monkey
I think it would be less confusing if there wasn't 4 threads asking questions about the same bike.  ;)
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
If it's still mounted on the left handlebar you pull the lever counterclockwise towards you. The choke lever which should be on the right handlebar pull that towards you which when viewed from above goes clockwise to choke it. That's if it's set up original if not it's anybodies guess.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
Thanks ERC.  Yes, all the controls are still where they originally were.  Just replaced the battery, and obviously have a problem with the horn switch, because I can't turn it off!

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Bill,

Where you need to set the lever will depend somewhat on where your ignition timing is set at.  On mine I generally start with just less than full advance and most times it starts.  If it kicks back on you retard it more by pulling the lever toward you.  Experience (and your ankle) will tell you where the best position is.  Retard it too much and it won't fire.

Important!  Not sure what your experience is with kick starting engines but always place the ball of your foot on the kickstart not the convenient right angle made by the the sole and the heel of your boot.  This way if it kicks back your ankle should have enough flex to absorb the shock.  Even a lowly 350 can kick back with suprising violence.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
Thanks Andy!  Very helpful!  Fortunately, my 06 Iron Barrel has electric start problems, so I've been kick-starting it for years now.  I like the tip about the ball of your foot.  Cheers,  Bill