Author Topic: Forward Controls On A Vintage Enfield???  (Read 3085 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 07, 2013, 05:48:58 am
So, I'm going for a old school bobber theme on my 58 Trailblazer.  And I love to ride so comfort is a big issue for me.  I'm 6'1" and have pretty long legs and my knees are kind of bunched up in riding position.  So, I was thinking of getting one these forward control conversion kits off of Ebay.  Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom in doing a foward control conversion on these old Enfields?  Is there a big change in riding feel as far as center of gravity?  Will it be more comfortable for my legs?

Scottie

Also, this kit I'm looking at is listed for a Yamaha XS650, but I'm very good at custom fabrication and I'm confident I could make it work on my Indian.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/index.php/yamaha-xs650-forward-controls-kit.html?utm_source=TC+Bros.+Choppers+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e6ffcd9a2a-TCBros-FirstEmail-9products-Feb2013&utm_medium=email

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:28:06 am
I don't think anyone can say whether forward controls will be more comfy for you than you can...  You might try a highway peg arrangement first, to see how you like the leg position in the long term, before shifting the controls themselves.  Your center of gravity and the handling won't be affected a drastic amount but it'll sure feel different riding it.

There are universal kits available; I wouldn't invest in a bike-specific kit.  Check Dime City Cycles, Lick's, Lowbrow customs...all those places.  And/or just go to Fastfromthepast.com and pick up rearsets and linkages, then fab up whatever mounts you need to attach them up front.

I am running rear-sets, so I've done the linkages you're going to need in reverse, but the first thing I can think of is that you're gonna need a REALLY long brake rod to link up to a rear drum brake...  One good thing is that you can cut, grind, and drill your shifter for a clevis, rod-end, or heim joint very easily.  You might have some issues getting a straight run between the controls and the shift/brake actuator.  Rod ends or heim joints can help, but you really want to bend the rod somewhere (twice, obviously, to keep the sections parallel) so that it pulls/pushes directly in line with the direction of the actuator.

And for what my 2 cents is worth, I wouldn't associate forward controls with any bike from the late 50s...they seem like a pretty modern modification to me.  Not that it matters, but I sure wouldn't call them "old-school."

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:28:28 pm
I think your best bet would be a set that fits Harleys. That use sae sizes not metric. All the British stuff is the same size with just different thread count.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:47:30 pm
Might be easier on your legs, but harder on your back!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:25:23 am
Might be easier on your legs, but harder on your back!
Bare

That's what my co worker was just telling me today.  I never thought about the fact that you can't brace yourself for bumps with forward controls.  I'm not so sure I want to do it anymore.   
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:30:15 am

And for what my 2 cents is worth, I wouldn't associate forward controls with any bike from the late 50s...they seem like a pretty modern modification to me.  Not that it matters, but I sure wouldn't call them "old-school."

I had always thought forward controls were first thought up by some acid adled "summer of love" chopper building hippy from Greenwich Village SF in the late 60's :D