Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 1255 times)

arunvader

• Scooter
on: February 03, 2013, 12:37:19 am
I recently purchased my first bike 2012 Military and I have only 300 miles on it. Today I was getting ready to change the oil for the first time and noticed I had an oil leak from my kick start shaft. Unsure if any of you guys have experienced this.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:43:49 am
Take it in to your dealer and have them change it on as this is most likely the seal on the shaft which should not be leaking even after 10k miles. They will need to pull the case and replace the seal and case gasket. There is always a chance that something else is going on behind the case (missing bushing or bad bearing) which is allowing the kick-start shaft to get out of alignment and thus the seal leaks.Best have them check it out if I were you.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:36:02 am
Is the oil in that area clear and thin or is it thick and black and gummy?

If the oil seal is leaking the engine oil will be very thin and (except for the dirt it's collected) it will be fairly clear.

If the oil in the area is thick and black, you are seeing chain oil that has been thrown off of the chain during your riding.

That flat ledge right below the drive sprocket always collects chain oil which will eventually run down the crankcase fin to the bottom of the engine.
Left uncleaned for a long period of time it will eventually drip on the floor.

Use something that cuts oil along with a few paper towels to clean the area off and then keep an eye on it.
Like I mentioned, if you see thin, relatively clean oil, the seal is leaking and the dealer should fix it.
If it's what I think it is and it's chain oil,  just wipe it clean every so often.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary