Author Topic: Bike purchased, looking at the few accessories I need.  (Read 6138 times)

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
on: February 03, 2013, 03:43:29 pm
I have to be honest and say I have found all the dealers I talked to overly creative in getting accessories, but it will have to happen. One of the things I loved about my scooter was simply getting a single rack and slapping a milk crate on it with a web cover, and putting all kinds of crap there and under the seat. Bikes aren't as friendly to this, and I use my ride as a commuter/packhorse. There are also lots of windshields to choose from on Vespas, that do a great job.

The RE seems a bit more limited tough it does appear the Indians use them as pack horses very effectively.

So, any ideas on some of these items is well suggested. Saddle bags/cases are fine, I am thinking of getting a carpenter to make wooden frames to slide stuff into, like my laptop bag. I always ride with a windshield. Maybe I am just an old girl, but I am light and likely to get lighter over the next few months, so it makes a big difference for me. But I don't like what I see on nfield gear. Anyone tried something different? And a rear rack to put the milk crate on.

Thanks

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:18:43 pm
most universal fit windscreens for naked bikes will work.
i have found one i like at twistedthrottle.com.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-customshield-style-cu-windshield-for-naked-sport-bikes-cruisers-enduro-and-dual-sport-motorcycles
but you also have to get the mounting kit. we have a 7/8" Handel bar.
the rack might be more difficult.
i found looking through the members rides section has lots of good ideas then the members in this section will help narrow it down.
happy hunting.
mine had the rear seat on it and i removed the seat and fitted a rack for an electra to it. some spacers and it works quite well.

Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:31:04 pm
We have the "Deflector" screen from the RE paper catalog that works well, and was or is on our Superbowl special Sale this weekend. Shoot me a email and I'll quote you the sale price on Tue.
We have 2 left. Al@bmwoffresno.com
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000-National-Cycle-Deflector-Windshield.jpg
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:36:05 pm by Tri750 »
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:42:55 pm
Two thumbs up on The Deflector. Works excellent on an Enfield.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:48 pm
try some of the Indian sites for racks. They have many , Bulletwala.com is a good place to start. They ship quickly to the US as they really want our business. Some items need a little modding to fit, but hey we are talking RE Bullet here not BMW.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 07:52:02 pm
Sorry for spam, but if anyone wants the Deflector, give an email or call and ask me (al) for the price Tuesday. Im not being mysterious, Im over 50 and have CRS.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:47:14 pm
Sorry for spam, but if anyone wants the Deflector, give an email or call and ask me (al) for the price Tuesday. Im not being mysterious, Im over 50 and have CRS.

In ten more years it will be ED.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 10:43:07 pm
I bought nField Gear's largest windscreen, and I'm happy with how it keeps the wind off my body.  It looks nice, but really, it's not tall enough.  All that wind deflected from my chest hits me right in the head, which means... noise!  and lots of it.  Without the screen, I can ride without ear plugs (in my full helmet); with the screen, I don't wanna go around the block without ear plugs due to the added wind noise.  The talk turned to how I could modify the windscreen to direct the flow of air higher - seems like a discussion of what taller windscreens work could have been beneficial.

GreenRE gave a video link for tips on choosing a windscreen:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10764.msg125048.html#msg125048)

and the heart of the matter, as I recall, was that the top of the screen was supposed to come up as high as your nose when you're looking so far ahead (I can't remember).  None of the NFG screens comes close to that for me, so I'm not sure what to think about how tall a "proper" windscreen should be.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:32:42 am
I have to be honest and say I have found all the dealers I talked to overly creative in getting accessories, but it will have to happen. One of the things I loved about my scooter was simply getting a single rack and slapping a milk crate on it with a web cover, and putting all kinds of crap there and under the seat. Bikes aren't as friendly to this, and I use my ride as a commuter/packhorse. There are also lots of windshields to choose from on Vespas, that do a great job.

The RE seems a bit more limited tough it does appear the Indians use them as pack horses very effectively.

So, any ideas on some of these items is well suggested.

Congratulations on biting the apple  ;)

I assume you have the C5 with single seat. With the regular rack behind you will not have difficulties in fixing the milkcrate, bolting it to the rack, will be good.

My bags are military issue, heavy duty canvas with a lot of straps. Each has a capacity of 17 liters and is flexible enough to accomodate sizeable stuff. They are used to stow away anything from groceries to full camping gear.

The windscreen is Italian made and variable adjustable. Never have any issues with noise. Handguards might come in handy as you ride in cold weather.

The Indian made 'Ladakh racks' are bulky and heavy. I would be scared to filter through traffic with them at my sides scraping suv's, albeit tempted too.  ;)

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:27:04 am
Thanks on the help so far everyone. I think Matz has hit it on the head for me. Most of the smaller windscreen really dont do much other than deflect bugs. Tr750 I appreciate the same, can you make me a deal on something bigger? I ride with a brim on my helmet because I hate sun in my eyes, and the wind just snatches that if it doesn't go over my head. Sounds silly, I know, on a bike, but all the years on race horses and being in my dad's British Roadsters in winter has made me a little intolerant of getting beaten to death by the wind. At least I can tuck behind the horse's head and count on it not running into a wall! So, I would like a bigger screen than I have seen offered so far.

Royalista, are you using the Faco adjustable? I have one on my Vespa and friggen adore it. If so, how did you get it to work???? I will rip that bad boy off and keep it, if necessary. Or do you have another adjustable one? Please tell if it's nice and tall!

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 04:35:37 am
Also Royalista, where did you get your military sized packs for saddle bags? I have been looking at som different options. A milk crate that carries the stuff like, milk and detergent, and the rest in the bags is what I want.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:20 pm
Royalista, are you using the Faco adjustable? I have one on my Vespa and friggen adore it. If so, how did you get it to work???? I will rip that bad boy off and keep it, if necessary. Or do you have another adjustable one? Please tell if it's nice and tall!
The windscreen is made by Puig. Faco is unknown to me but Puig is Italian and the windscreen will fit a Vespa too.
Width is 40cm. Adjustable from 40cm-45cm (16"-18") in height. More finetuning to be done by tilting (modifying angle of attack) and spacing to rider. Mounting is simple, all the tweeking guarantees a personalized fit. It is a sturdy screen, protecting me well.

Downsides? Just one: the rubbers that should protect handlebars are thin. I replaced them by thick strands cut from a rubber mat.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 03:14:36 pm
Also Royalista, where did you get your military sized packs for saddle bags? I have been looking at som different options. A milk crate that carries the stuff like, milk and detergent, and the rest in the bags is what I want.
The bags were found at Silverman for £35 a pair, genuine army issue. For me these combined ease (simple throwover), size (largest found), affordable shipping and low cost. On the bike is the regular rack to keep the bags from the rear wheel. The right hand side bag is enough elevated above the exhaust, just don't put frozen foods below in that bag. ::)

I used the term 'musette' in searches. Most musette bags were too small for my needs and large ones can be costly.
Warning: aha, China & India produce musette bags galore for cheap. These will cater looks, not groceries.  :'(

Here is a picture of the setup. Look closely at the multitude of straps on the bags, especially handy on long journeys; plus side pockets front and aft for cans and bottles.
Notice the windscreen is at its lowest setting.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 03:44:31 am
Tri750, can you get me somthing like Royalista is talking about? Or something that is 20" with a bit of a hand guard, similar to what is on Nfield? I like  the round cruiser style ones the best on bikes but really the adjustable ones make me happiest for when seasons change. I am short, but not crazy short.

Royalista, good point on the military bags - we are talking about Enfield here. I had thought about going to some of my Amish horse harness makers and seeing if they could make a set, but this is also a good idea. I will be leaving for Japan/Okinawa in less than two weeks - yes, the new bike will be locked away for a while. Doubt I will get to ride it more than once before I go. Anyways, I can go to the PX and see what they have, and if nothing suits try the vintage surplus sites. We have some very good ones in the US. I pick up ammo cans all the time.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:22 am
Tri750, can you get me somthing like Royalista is talking about? Or something that is 20" with a bit of a hand guard, similar to what is on Nfield?

kammersangerin - FWIW, I don't know if you are referring to nField Gear's "Windshield Style 1", but it's the one I have.  Their description says, "Shape reduces wind flow over your hands..."  Well, it may be true, but if it does, I don't notice it.  The "side wings" don't really cover the grips well (see my photo).

I bought a screen to keep the wind off my body in the cold - it does a great job of that.  I bought that particular model because I liked the looks.  It throws a lot of wind at my head, as I said earlier, and my hands aren't really protected against the wind with this thing - my hands got very cold very quickly when I switched to my now-returned winter riding gloves.  I'm still searching for a way to keep my hands warm, and bar-mounted protectors have been a broad recommendation.