Author Topic: Bike purchased, looking at the few accessories I need.  (Read 6147 times)

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:18 pm
We currently have the Deflector out of last years RE catalog. It is no longer on the website that I can find . Memphis Shades and National Cycle have many screens, some with hand protection. They give dimensions and im sure they have one that will help. Let's remember cold in Maine and cold in Cali are galaxy's apart. I've used the hippo hands type hand covers that Velcro to the handlebars. They work nicely but at speed, they can push back against the brake lever enough to activate your brake light. (not the brake) Held Freezer and BMW Pro Winter are great winter gloves that work.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 04:28:41 pm
Let's remember cold in Maine and cold in Cali are galaxy's apart.

Amen, brother!  Not to belittle anyone's troubles, but boy do I wish I had some of the cold weather that other parts of the country are suffering from right now - I'd be out riding!

I don't recall kammersangerin saying that she was in California, nor did she mention cold.  My point was merely to say that if she is looking for "something that is 20" with a bit of a hand guard, similar to what is on Nfield", my experience in the cold with that particular screen (purchased from Nfield, description says it reduces wind flow over your hands) suggests that it isn't providing much hand protection.  If it weren't Maine-cold where I ride, I might not ever have noticed.  I'm still working on solving my cold hands problem, but that's another thread!

I like my screen - it's the only one I've ever ridden behind.  Jack Leis rides behind the Deflector - he digs it.  My only request is that whatever you end up with, kammersangerin, you let us know how it works out for you here!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 06:09:33 pm
My little flyscreen from Hitchcocks improved things considerably in SoCal winter airs (40o) give or take. A pair of Tourmaster PolarTec Gloves pretty much took care of the hands. A good pair of long johns took care of the lower parts.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 02:49:43 am
I am neityher in Maine or California, but tucked away in the Mid Atlantic - when home anyways - in the foothills of Appalachia. Yes, it gets Maine cold, just not for as long or as consitently, and recent winters are proving to be a joke. It felt great riding in 50 degrees today, with an unlined jacket and light sweater. But with a pretty good sized windshield. Highs have been in the 30's though, and I have ridden a few nights in the teens in Jan.

Tri750 maybe you can give me demensions on the deflector. I think when I pick up the bike the deal will be to simply do my measuring, because I will sit in a different place than on the Vespa. I am short, and I will be sitting on a lower seat, which will affect the necessary screen height. 

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 04:03:30 am
If your interested, the windshield does not have to extend above your helmet to be effective.

In fact, they recommend that the top of the windshield should be just below your eye level.

At that height, the wind will pass over the top of your helmet while allowing you to see the road ahead even with the windshield covered with rain drops.

Of course if it is raining some of the drops will make it thru the wind blast that's flowing over your head but most of them will miss you.

The same goes for the width of the shield.  It does not have to be as wide as you might be.

The hands are something else though.
Because the shield is so close to the bars, the wind doesn't have much of a chance to deflect over your hands so getting a good pair of water proof, warm gloves like some of the others have mentioned is a good idea.

Have fun. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary