Author Topic: Performance Options For 700cc Twins?  (Read 1243 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 02, 2013, 08:17:20 pm
It seems like there a lot of performance options for the Bullets these days.  Does anyone make any kind of performance kits for the vintage 700cc Twins?  I have a problem (let's call it an addiction) and just about everything I've ever owned has eventually turned custom.  Sometime this year (probably sometime this summer when the weather gets crappy and I get a hair up my butt  ;) )  I'm going to do a full custom old school metal flake paint job on my 58 Trailblazer, and I'd love to get performance to match the paint.

I already plan on upgrading to the electronic ignition in the upcoming weeks. But, what all can be done to these motors and what are they capable of?  I realize that it'll never be a 130hp S&S motor, but there has got to be SOME options out there.  Even if it's just punching out the cylinders and doing a full port and polish, I'm really curious what kind of options I have.  Dish top pistons?  Beefier cams?  Gearing?

Thanks.
Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:25:13 pm
We(Ace) can do the heads.

We can do pistons too, but minimum quantity 4 for custom pistons.
Cams will be tough to come by.

You might check Hitchcock's site for the twin parts. He might have some cams and pistons and various other parts that you are going to need.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:27:56 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:47 am
I know where your coming from Scottie but if the bike were mine I'd be happy just to have it running like it should.

The 700's were built on the old 500's crankcase which somewhat limits the amount of power that it can make and limited the freedom of increasing the bearing sizes.

These twins also used aluminum connecting rods with aluminum caps on the big ends.
The caps retain the split sleeve bearings which are lubricated with RE's typical plunger style oil pump.
All in all, not a very stout design, which if pushed far enough will end up with the rods becoming small bits of aluminum fragments.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:04 am
Ace - What would you charge to do the heads?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:39:49 am
Ace - What would you charge to do the heads?

I'll send you a Personal Message
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:51:28 pm
Hitchcocks makes new rods that will handle more power.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.