Author Topic: Need a willing test subject.  (Read 5623 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 01:19:27 pm
Hi Mitch,
Great!
We need to discuss the particulars, and get your head sent in as soon as possible. I have sent you an email, but I don't know if you got it.

Please contact me.

Thanks,
Tom
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 02:54:59 am
ACE...et al...

I just got off the phone with one of my RE buddies... WE are excited about this project... going back to my ship in the next hour... be back in 12 days... I WILL BE HOME FOR VACATION THEN... will break off the head then and send it to you within a few days of my return.

If not any world records... I hope to continue to strive for 100mph...

Mitch

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 04:48:09 pm
Hi Mitch,
We will work to help you achieve whatever goal you choose.

Looking forward to talking about it when you return.

Thanks,
Tom

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 02:58:08 am
Being a bit pushy and nosey.... Anything happen with the AVL head Ace?  I'm very interested in the possibilities.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 02:07:26 pm
Being a bit pushy and nosey.... Anything happen with the AVL head Ace?  I'm very interested in the possibilities.

Nope.
We were not contacted by the owner.
I think it's too late for us to do anything for this particular project's deadline at Bonneville. We couldn't get it done in time now.

But if you are interested, here's the details.
The AVL head has ports which we feel are too large for the normal rpm range, and has cam lift that is far to low for good performance.
For a race bike, or a very high performance street bike which will access some high rpms, we now have a scheme which can exploit the layout with some porting that is appropriate for that large port size, and lift the valves to an appropriate lift height by using our roller rockers which we pioneered for the Big Head Iron Barrel. This will allow the stock "mild" cams to be multiplied by the rocker ratio to a very good valve lift profile for high performance. We feel that our valve spring system will solve any of the previous valve spring harmonic problems, and be light enough to access the higher rpms reliably.

There are some pistons available, and if you want a custom piston option, we can build any custom piston you want, but you have to buy 4. That's the way the piston maker works. They won't make less than 4.

You'd be on your own with the ignition adjustment requirements, and I think that Bullet Whisperer's adjustable ignition box would be a good idea.

The time frame for this kind of job is long.
It took more than 6 months to complete the head and rocker job for that Iron Barrel Big Head job. It's all one-off custom work, and we have to fit into whatever schedule they want, which is usually "when they can get around to it". So be ready to allow plenty of time for it, and it's not a cheap job either.
But it's above and beyond anything else seen up to this time for these bikes. We're the only ones doing this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:20:53 pm by ace.cafe »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 05:03:53 am
Thanks Ace for the info.  Sounds like it may be a good winter project.  Right now, im just enjoying the riding.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra