Author Topic: Repositioning right handlebar controls....don't.  (Read 2601 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: May 31, 2008, 12:53:01 pm
I rotated  my handlebars back and down for a better riding position. I loosened the left side controls and rotated them slightly to keep them in a user friendly position. Now the right side. Loosen mounting screws and twist. WRONG! There is an index hole in the bar to seat a plastic pin on the controls. This prevents the unit from trying to rotate as the throtlle is used. The little snap you hear if you force it to turn is the pin breaking off.  :o

I was able to repair it and all is good. This was alot simpler fix than the time I forgot to properly space the piston ring gap on an old Harley Shovelhead motor.  :'(

If it ain't broke, let me work on it,

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:08:44 pm
If you are using standard bars breaking the tab is probably not a big deal. If the throttle moves you can put a thing piece of rubber (a slice from a bicycle inner tube would probably work) to act as a shim so the control fits tighter.

However, if you are using ace bars like me, which don't come drilled for the locating tabs, then it can be a problem.

I removed the tabs when I installed the bars (an option that used to be mentioned in the product description on the web site). I ended up buying a new right side control and drilling a hole for the tab because without it the control tends to move around and slide off the bar, not a good thing.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:23:59 pm
I ended up just redrilling the location holes further round to suit my height as being tall I prefer the clutch and brake levers in-line with my fingers extended which on most bikes requires me to move them so they face downwards more than std!  ::)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:05:21 pm
LSM,

Me too. I was very unhappy after I got my bullet and then discovered that I couldn't reposition the controls the way I wanted without redrilling.

I was afraid that too many holes would weaken the bars, so I left the controls as is.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:55:52 pm
Couldn't you tap the bar and insert a set screw in it to preserve a little more strength than just a blank hole?
Just thinking....

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:35:08 am
You know, all of our bikes are slightly different so it is always interesting to hear from others that have had the same situations arise.
    Very soon after I got my bike, I broke both of my controls loose. Don't ask me how. One I know how it happened, the other just broke loose. Probably the great strength of my Manly grip, thats it. Any way, other than tightening the controls up a bit ( i was scared I would strip them out with my Manly strength ) I haven't done anything with them. Know what? Hasn't really bothered me at all. Maybe my bar is ever so slightly thicker.
     Unless it is ridiculously loose, perhaps try it for a while and see if it isn't something that you live with, saving you some work.   

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:37 am
LSM,

Me too. I was very unhappy after I got my bullet and then discovered that I couldn't reposition the controls the way I wanted without redrilling.

I was afraid that too many holes would weaken the bars, so I left the controls as is.

I drilled mine to allow the grip assemble to be rotated to a new position.  No fear of weakening the bar.  If it is indeed strong enough where it attaches to the forkhead [where the longest lever arm is exerting the most force] it is certinally still strong enough to allow another .200" hole a short distance from the grip end.     
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650