Author Topic: End of the month EPIC RIDE  (Read 2149 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
on: February 01, 2013, 01:04:58 am
Got out of the rack this morning all excited. Going for a ride ! Headed away from San Bernardino. It looks it's best in my mirrors for sure. Went up old Rt.66 to get on the 138 and man it was blowing ! Quite windy until I got to Wrightwood . The wind died down and was replaced by cold dry air at 5,000 feet. For once I was prepared with my winter riding apparel consisting of a sweater, 6 days jacket , Cycle Gear insulated riding pants and Alpine Star riding boots. To top it off, I finally found my cold weather gloves Ive been searching for since I bought the bike. Anyway, started down N4 to Big Pine Road and encountered alot of snow still along the sides of the road and some ice in the shady parts. I was taking it easy because of the melting snow but still found myself getting squirlly a few times. I made it to Valyermo Road into the high desert and things dried up a bit. Took the usual route to Angeles Forest and started up the backside of Angeles National Forest. The road was in fair shape but had the traction gravel in places so I really couldn't fly through there like I usually do. I cant wait for the snow to go away so they can sweep that stuff up. I got on to Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road and was able to open her up alittle bit. Nice sweeping turns, Goldstar exhaust note echoing off the canyon walls, life is so good ! I rode it all the way to Angeles Crest Highway then headed east to Newcombs Ranch for a few cups of hot coffee and a 1 hour BS session with a handfull of other adventurers that rode up from Los Angeles. We talked about bikes mainly with alittle bit of women, the super bowl and my favorite, The Dodgers. I wanted to head east but the road was closed a Islop Saddle. Too much snow at that higher elevation so they shut the highway down for the winter. So much for my favorite loop. Oh well, could be worse. Rode on back the way I came when I noticed my odometer had just turned to 18,000 miles. I must celebrate ! maybe I'll buy her something from Hitchcock's ! All in all it was a great ride, a great day and some great weather. Total trip mileage : 218
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:55:57 am
18,000 MILES!?!  Good grief man, you are doing SOMETHING right racking up all those miles.  Good for you.  That's awesome.

Nice sweeping turns, Goldstar exhaust note echoing off the canyon walls, life is so good !

Hell yah!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:33:56 am
Hey Jack!

Sorry if I've already asked you this - I just can't remember, and I can't find any evidence I have (didn't look too hard, though!).  How do you protect your hands on these cold rides?

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:58:30 pm
Hey Mattsz ! I wear a pair of Cycle Gears "Bilt" weather proof winter gloves. I got them on sale last year for around 25.00. I don't know the particular model though.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:02:46 pm
Hey Mattsz ! I wear a pair of Cycle Gears "Bilt" weather proof winter gloves. I got them on sale last year for around 25.00. I don't know the particular model though.
They are the MONSOON GLOVE, Mattsz