Author Topic: Where to find a used Enfield to buy?  (Read 5752 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:41 pm
There are speedo shops around that can take care of the 7500 mile problem.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 11:10:48 pm
years ago there was this guy in Placerville, CA looking to get his RE registered but it didn't quite
have the miles....   there was this guy in Illinois that pulled his speedo with about 17,000
miles on it and shipped it to California to help a brother out...   it was January and what the
HELL; you aren't doing a lot of riding in Illinois that time of year...
   the speedo was shipped back after the bike was regged in Cali....
    just saying -  Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 02:10:10 am
We do,indeed...my 2002 Bullet 500 ES is "Velvet Green",like the felt on a billiards table...to my eye,TRUE "British Racing Green" is a dark green metallic,almost black,like "Inverness Green",or "Sherwood Green",like my friend Cary's Austin-Heally "Bug-Eyed Sprite"...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

pat_don_el_lee

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 03:08:43 am
I appreciate the correction, Velvet Green. Either way, it looks good. The odometer/drill procedure was proposed but was declined for understandable reasons. If I have no luck in my search, perhaps I'll revisit it and see if something can be worked out. Thanks.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:06 am
You can easily repaint bodywork, or source green bodywork take-offs. It's not too expensive, something to ponder... ;)

nymonzajr

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 02:23:00 pm
I have a 2006 velvet green iron head here in NY.  Looks very nice, a few scratches on the front fender and side covers.  2200 miles or so.  Sprag has been removed. $2950 and it is yours, includes uninstalled electron ign and blue coil.  If this is an unallowed post I apologize.

Whoops, didn't realize you needed one with over 7500 miles.  Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:43:01 pm by nymonzajr »

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 09:05:12 am
I wonder if CA has a "True Mileage Unknown" (TMU) option when registering or titling used vehicles? I would think the widely inaccurate speedos on these bike would keep you from having a guilty conscience by checking that box, or just have the seller loosen the cable so that it is disengaged and not working and drive it around the block so that it is not showing the true mileage anymore and not working when you receive it....Good luck

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 11:09:07 pm
Hey Everyone,

I was close to sealing a deal for an Enfield from Dennis K. in Grand Junction, CO. Unfortunately, due to California registration laws, I couldn't receive his bike because it had less than 7500 miles on it. California law says you cannot register a used bike purchased out of state in California if it doesn't meet CA emissions standards with less than 7500 miles on it. You can, however, if it has more than 7500 miles.

So I continue my search, but I must say how helpful and courteous Dennis was and is. He sent me tons of pictures of his bike and it is just beautiful. If anyone not in California is looking for a Royal Enfield, don't hesitate to contact Dennis. I hope the bike I do finally land is as nice as his.

If anyone has a Royal Enfield with an iron barrel engine and in BRG, with more than 7500 miles, let me know

I would move
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 11:28:04 pm
I wonder if CA has a "True Mileage Unknown" (TMU) option when registering or titling used vehicles? I would think the widely inaccurate speedos on these bike would keep you from having a guilty conscience by checking that box, or just have the seller loosen the cable so that it is disengaged and not working and drive it around the block so that it is not showing the true mileage anymore and not working when you receive it....Good luck

Like, just unscrew the speedo cable from the backside of the speedometer, pull out the drive cable from the cable housing, and then screw it back together? Or....Or you could remove the speedo drive, disable it somehow, reinstall and then everything is there and then chalk it up to the previous owner was a butcher and reinstalled the wheel incorrectly and you have no idea what the mileage is. Of course it would take a seller to conspire with you in all this!! :o

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 01:53:14 pm
You wait long enough and here you go:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/3561956110.html
I'd be all over this one!

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:13 pm
^^^----------Yep, my thoughts exactly--------^^^

See if you can talk him down.  Do the speedo thing everyone else is talking about above.  Bike looks good and clean.  Plus I'm all about the right shift!

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:18 am
You wait long enough and here you go:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/3561956110.html
I'd be all over this one!
MMMM... sweet. Saw that on David Blasco's site yesterday. Right shift. Proper breather setup. No crappy electric starter to deal with It's even got a set of Hagon's. Jump on it.
Chuck.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:39:26 am by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

pat_don_el_lee

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 03:03:50 am
I don't know. The ignition looks pretty nasty and the price is a bit high. I appreciate the help though and I'm still looking!