Author Topic: Clutch basket advice on bullet 500  (Read 7944 times)

wernwilk

• Scooter
  • 2003 Bullet 500 4 speed
on: January 31, 2013, 07:57:38 am
Hi all,

I have been on here with various topics before but wanted to start a new thread so as not too confuse anyone.

I am in the midst of finishing off an engine rebuild on a 2003 bullet 500 for a friend.. I have an issue with the clutch basket where upon refitting and tightening if it seems to could the casing behind it.
The nut shows signs of abuse in the past as it's bowed out on the back side where it looks like an impact wrench may have been used before.

Am I correct in thinking that the basket sits on the raised splines at the case end of the shaft...it does look like there is a grove on the shaft where a circlip
Or other may sit, however I did not see one when disassembling the clutch and cannot make one out in the diagram in the service manual.

Any ideas or advice please?

Thanks.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:03 pm
There is a circlip on there.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:31:52 pm
The hitchcocks site has a diagram which I have pasted below.  Clip labled #9  holds the basket to back plate. Or labled #13 on the second attachment.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:41:45 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

wernwilk

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:23 pm
Gents,

sorry but i may have confused you on my initial post.

I have the large circlip that holds the basket on the shaft...what i was wondering if there is a clip BEHIND the basket on the shaft that stops the basket sliding back too far and fouling the case with the back of the basket....looking at the diagrams there does not seem so.

The basket shows evidence of abuse, the lock nut being damaged and also the splines a little rounded off at the back of the basket where they are supposed to act as a stop to prevent the basket sliding too far back on the shaft.

does this make sense....?  if so does that mean my basket may need replacing?

Thanks again.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:19:48 pm
I believe the basket rests on a taper, friction fit. That is why it can be difficult
to remove needing a puller. Also, when you re-assemble you may want to put an
old socket over the shaft and give it a rap with a BFH to set it on the taper. If you
don't; the first time you pull the clutch handle after re-assembly and adjusting, you
may actually seat it on the taper with the clutch pull and then have to re-adjust again.
ask me how I know....   - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:38 pm
Mike is correct, no clip back of the clutch centre, just friction fit along the splines.

wernwilk

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:24:41 am
Ok so it would seem that if the basket is fouling on the case it is too far onto the shaft....my guess from the abused and looking at the basket splines someone had impact wrenched the basket on at some point and damaged the splines to the point they no longer stop where they are supposed too.

So it would seem I may need a new basket...any suggestions guys?

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:20:51 am
fouling on the case....
    is it rubbing 360 degrees or just the top or bottom?  What I'm wondering is if the
inner case is properly seated which could cause the basket to rub at the
 top or bottom, most likely the top, if the bottom you would see it....

just thinking out loud, never overlook the obvious and start with the simple...
                 - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:26 am
Is the mainshaft knackerd in any way or is damage confined to the clutch center?  Hopefully the mainshaft is not damaged,or you will need a new mainshaft which would require dismantling of the gearbox.

wernwilk

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:02 pm
I am 99% certain the case is seated correctly but will check again.

The main shaft looks good but the basket has some damage with the splines rounded off as if they have been forced back against the splines on the shaft....(impact wrench or over zealous tightening perhaps)?

Where would I find a basket if that is in fact what is needed?

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 09:16:13 am
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/miracle-clutch.html I used one of these and would do it again. It was a big improvement over the stock manufactured item.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:44:06 pm
there is always Bulletwala

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/ROYAL-ENFIELD-500cc-CLUTCH-CENTRE-ASSEMBLY-144496-NEW/16670408

there will be those who will tell you that you've got have the blue printed clutch,
and aftermarket plates....    the Bullet clutch is only as good as it is adjusted and
many never even did the adjustment on the rh side. These things are just 1 notch
better than a lawnmower, very low tech to the point that chain adjustment can
affect the way a bike shifts. I think of them like the old David Bradley walking
tractors,2 wheels, simple, and utilitarian....   - Mike
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:57:43 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

wernwilk

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:34:54 am
I took the primary case off again to have a look, I wanted to see if anything was preventing the case seating properly.

I thought I had found the cause as part of the gear shift linkage was rubbing on the case and when i tightened the foot-peg holder/gear linkage it cleared...however when i put the case back on there is still a little rocking in the case...when I tighten the 3 allen bolts around the main bearings that hold the case on it seems to kick the opposite end around the shaft out enough to foul the basket.

Also when i push the basket onto the shaft it spins fine, however when i tighten the basket center nut up it fouls on the case again..

has anyone seem a warped primary case like this before....I think the slight warping and the wear on the basket stop splines may be enough to make it foul.

what i do not want to do is purchase a new basket only to find the same problem.

any more ideas etc??

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 04:59:44 am
are you putting the gasket in tween the 2 cases at the crankshaft location
with the 3 allen screws? It wouldn't take much thickness there to allow
the case to set farther back and not foul the basket.
            - mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

wernwilk

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:51:46 pm
I am indeed putting the gasket at the 3 allen screws....i wonder if I fabricated another would it be enough to allow the clearance needed?
I don't see how this would cause any problems??

anyone have any input on this?