Author Topic: Metal Panniers  (Read 6522 times)

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
on: January 25, 2013, 01:41:35 pm
I'm thinking about switching my soft saddle bags to metal panniers. Something like this, http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/luggage/steel-side-carrier-set.html
Has anybody tried them, I know they are common in India. Are there any downsides to hard cases as compared to soft cases? I looked at some hard shells at the local motorcycle show and the ones made for RE specifically are much less expensive than most other options.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:54:02 pm
No personal experience, but I've heard that the metal boxes rattling in the metal racks are very noisy.  I suppose one could cushion everything...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:27 pm
Hard cases are prone to damage in case of a spill and if you're trapped beneath that's a boobie. Their stiffness imposes limits to luggage. Otherwise make fine surface for stickers.
If chosen for security reasons they should be lockable to rack & frame.
Certainly the looks are good.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:40:46 pm
I have a G5 Military so I put a couple of ammo cans on it. I used the bracket set from our sponsor to mount them on, and fastened ammo cans to them with u-bolts - and a bit of rubber hose to prevent them rattling. The colour matched perfectly, and they were cheaper than any bags or pannier on the market. Of course, you may want to paint yours to match if you went in that direction.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:53:28 am
Thanks idk. Did the weight of the ammo cans make a difference with the handling? What size ammo cans did you use?
I like the look of the cans or hard side cases. I'm pretty sure I can fab up the brackets if I need to.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:08:18 pm
It would be nice if you could actually BUY the panniers...nice ad but NEVER available. I tried to mount the old style RE ammo can type pannier cans on my existing racks made for saddle bags with the U bolt idea, and they did look ok, BUT the bikes vibration was too much for the racks and they stress cracked. They need support top and bottom to be up to the task. I went with the Swiss olive canvas back pack bags and I'm MUCH happier with the look and the utility.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:57:29 pm
I got the Monocular Night Vision - Ammo type can from http://armynavysuperstores.com/containers.htm . I am very happy with them, but you could get something a bit longer if needed. You can see them in this pic.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:06:19 pm by idk »
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:54:09 pm
For Uk riders and perhaps US(subject to postage!) I would recommend http://ardcases.co.uk/ Roger who runs the firm is one of the most approachable guys I have ever come across, have had various types of metal(hard) cases over the years including soft bags, and for price/fitting and security these are by far the best.
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.