Author Topic: Virginia Riders  (Read 2568 times)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:14 am
Hey everyone,

I am currently deployed, but when I come home I need to fire up my g5 that is in storage!

It needs a few things:

Oil change (done that a few times myself)
Brake bleeding (never done it)
Front fork oil change (never done it)
New headlight. Hampton Roads highways have got to be the worst in the country. My lens cracked and water got in. Shorted out both high and low beam. Good excuse to change to a 7 inch! (Never worked with electronics)

Anyway, I am wondering if there are any good shops or folks around who know how to work on Enfields within riding distance of Norfolk, VA.

I have heard horrible things about Velocity in Richmond, so I don't want to take my bike there.

My bike is my way to work. I would love to learn how to do all this myself, but I am worried I would hit a snag and leave the bike in pieces for too long.

Thanks!

-Cpl Johnson
USMC/0351

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:34:53 pm
There is a dealer in Greenboro, NC called Scooternerds. I don't know if that's as far as Richmond or not, though. Check the dealer directory on this website's home page.
None of the stuff you have listed is particularly hard to do, but some of  it would take a bit of previous experience and knowledge.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:57 pm
Raderj: Been on that road in my car and I know what u mean..Never been to Velocity and I think Greensboro is a bit further than Richmond..I'm in Warrenton and been without a dealer tech for 4 years now..Suggest u get the repair and parts manual from our sponsor and read up on some of the procedures..Most shops  are not going to do a proper job without those manuals and probably wouldn't do a better job anyway. Not what you wanted to hear but unless you're all thumbs you'll be at the mercy of someone saying they can fix it, who doesn't have a clue and your bike could be pushed in the corner for months...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:08 pm
The repair and parts manual assumes the reader has a great deal of hands on knowledge and experience. Best scenario is having someone to guide you through first times; next best thing the Haynes manuals and a cup of tea.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:59:31 am
as a professional mechanic, i feel that just about anyone with some basic tools and common sense can work on their own RE. fixing my own bikes is how i learned to wrench. motorcycles are pretty basic compared to cars. good luck! use this forum, these guys know some stuff you will need.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:44 am
Hi. Interesting comment on velocity as they are one of the ones I am currently dealing with. I just don't find them as creative as they could be, and the primary sales guy talks over you a bit, but he does seem interested in getting you a good fit. Will at Crewe Suzuki  in Crewe Virginia might be the one to call. They service a few Enfields and have a really good shop guy. I think what you are talking about doing is not necessarily super unique to Enfields. Just an opinion though.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:21:05 am
GreenMachine, there is one in Winchester.

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:11:25 am
Hey thanks. It gives me some options.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:31 pm
kammersangerin: That's news to me...Is it a full service Enfield dealership with a mechanic?  Gonna check on that tonight and see what I can find out about it..That''s about 50 miles up the road from me...Cheers..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

skoont

• Scooter
  • 2011 Black C5
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:05:08 am
Good luck Cpl. Johnson!! All the replys on this thread make me feel good im close to BMW of Fresno!! I would take it one step at a time and ask for detailed help on each individual step of your current to do list from the knowlegeable folks right here!! Thank you for your service!!

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 01:38:39 pm
Thank you!

I am sure I can get it all done with the help of everyone on this awesome forum. I'll just need to buy some tools I have been putting off because I move so much.

Gonna take the plunge!

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:26:43 pm
Greenmachine,

He sold RE a good while ago and had to give up because they were just too problematic. He recently picked them up again with the UCE. Or so he told me. He talks a bit much, but he does know his bikes, and I spent a lot of time going througha  number of things with him. I thought he was a good choice to modify the bike front and back if I were willing to go that far and buy one. I was not, but since he seat and an 11 inch pair of hagons will do it, without any noticable difference in head light, I am OK with that.

I would be interested on your opinion of him.